• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If you create a precomp with 3D content will the material settings transfer down?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ie. do I have to set the materials nested inside the precomp, or can I just change them in the precomp settings, and if so is there a magic button I'm supposed to click to get the precomp to obey settings like accept shadows, etc?

TOPICS
Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. AE works upstream in 3D, not downstream. Settings from sub-comps are propagated to the parent comp, not the other way around. You have to tweak your materials in the pre-comps, even if in a funny way of inconsistent logic it will still use the lights from the parent comp and messing with layer switches can still make all sorts of a mess...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mylenium, I thought that was the behavior I was getting, but I couldn't quite tell from just moving a light around. I'll remember to set the materials how I want them first and duplicate from now on, instead of setting them later, or create a global control parent for contents inside the precomp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines