• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator files importing at 10% size

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have AI files where both layer content and artboards are 1920x1080. But when I import them into After Effects both comps and footage come in as 192x108px documents. I have done this type of importing for years and I've never seen or heard of this. Each Illustrator file I import was previously exported from a master AI with numerous artboards. The outputted AI files that I'm importing only have 1 artboard each.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

You may have found a bug. When I tried to save your AI file to Legacy AI I got this warning:

Screenshot_2020-09-27 14.14.45_PIDv37.png

Somewhere hidden in the file is the large size canvas info so when you saved the original artwork using each artboard as a separate canvas you got exactly what the warning is talking about. 

I would have to do some more testing, but the only way I can get your sample file to import correctly is to start a new AI document, then copy and paste or drag all of the artwork into the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-check the document settings and Artboard size in AI. It should be 1920 X 1080 Points or Pixels.

I'm not seeing any problems on my end. OSX, latest builds of AE 2019 and 2020. Can you share a sample file? Here's one that I just made: AI Test 2.AI

It works perfectly.

Screenshot_2020-09-27 13.28.54_0j1T3w.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick I've renamed and linked a sample file. The files I've been working with are using pixel units. I tried both AE2019 and 2020 on both OSX and Windows, same issue. My workaround for now is creating a new AI file and pasting the contents in. Seems to work. I wonder if there's some weird setting that happened when I exported the multi artboard AI file into a series of individual AI files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have found a bug. When I tried to save your AI file to Legacy AI I got this warning:

Screenshot_2020-09-27 14.14.45_PIDv37.png

Somewhere hidden in the file is the large size canvas info so when you saved the original artwork using each artboard as a separate canvas you got exactly what the warning is talking about. 

I would have to do some more testing, but the only way I can get your sample file to import correctly is to start a new AI document, then copy and paste or drag all of the artwork into the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, nice find it illustrates exactly what's happening. Thanks for troubleshooting this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this bug a year later using the latest version of Illustrator. So this issue is not solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a bug.

It's just that Illustrator's Large Canvas Size is not supported directly.  Or more specifically, After Effects has not been updated to read the scale.  As such, you get the same scaling in After Effects as you do in a reader app or a browser.

Adobe Illustrator User Guide > Large canvas size | FAQs and known issues
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/large-sized-canvas-troubleshooting.html

There's a feature request for After Effects to support this on the Adobe User Voice page, but it only has two votes.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/41445442-import-a-large-ca...

But maybe it'll have a few more votes after people read this here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn this is happening to me today, I always use the same workflow and never encountered this 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator's Large Canvas Size is not supported directly in After Effects.

Work in a standard canvas in Illustrator or scale the artwork up with Continuously Rasterise enabled in After Effects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this workflow all the time and I've never had an issue so I'm assuming it's a bug or glitch..
When saving an Illustrator file with multiple arboards out as individual files, then importing these into After Effects as compositions. Instead of bringing them in at 1920x1080 it bought them in at 192x108

I had to create a new illustrator file for each artboard and copy everything in to each one to get around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Artboards, if tiled (which they usually are), are not supported.

If designing with tiled Artboards in Illustrator, we have to use the "Save each artboard as a separate file" option in the Illustrator Options dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines