Illustrator to after effects looks blurry

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created some artwork in illustrator. The size was 1920 x 1080. I had all the vectors at the sizes I want them to be in after effects for animating etc. But when I opened the file in after effects in a comp the same size my artwork was blurry when viewed at 100%.   I had to go back to illustrator and make the objects all much larger then shrink them down in after effects. Is this normal?  I thought they would look the same in after effects at 100%. I checked them in illustrator up to 200% and they loook flawless but in after effects not so.  Am I doing something wrong? I know after effects is not a vector programme but I don't understand why they look different if comp size and magnification is the same.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try enabling Continuously Rasterize for the AI layers in case you're changing the scale of the AI layer in AE. (check the link for more detail -https://www.schoolofmotion.com/blog/collapse-transformations-continuously-rasterize-after-effects)

In case your not scaling the AI layers in AE, then it could be the issue of preview resolution to half or lower (know as sample factor in the composition panel)...check for the same and make sure it is set to Full.

Refer to the screenshots below -

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 10.28.02 PM.png

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are magnifying the comp, looking blurry is normal. Turn on Pixel Preview in Illustrator, and your vector shapes will also look blurry if you magnify the view.

Continuously Rasterize is the name and function of the switch on a vector layer. If you precompose you must use Collapse Transformations (the name and function of the switch name for nested comps). If you are scaling a nested comp (you pre-composed a vector layer) the switch must be turned on in both places.

If something else is happening, we need to see a screenshot with the modified properties of the problem layer revealed. Select the layer, press 'uu' to reveal all modified properties, take a screenshot, copy the file in finder or windows explorer, paste to the forum, drag it in, or use the Toolbar to embed it so we can see what is going on.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines