• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from Procreate

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There does not seem to be a way to import any of the Procreate export options into AE. The most likely option (because it has an option for transparent background)  is called Animated PNG, a format I have not seen before. I'm using a new Macbook pro and the Animated PNG does play from the finder by pressing the space bar but not by opening it in Preview even though all the frames (layers) are there.  When I import it into anything and I have tried AE, Premier, Quicktime and VLC player but all you get is the first frame appearing in the timeline. The only way I have found is to export all the layers as a sequenced image file, but I must flatten all the layers and it's a very laborious process. Of course, I have written to Procreate to ask if they can in the future develop other export options, but I also wanted to see if this Animated PNG is one that can be opened as a moving image file at some point?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

There is officially no such thing as "Animated PNG". It's a hack based on a proposal the W3C, the authority watching over web standards, never adopted. And there you have it. This format is merely exploiting some features that exist in the PNG spec, anyway (multiple draw regions/ canvases, faux "layers" by ways of same feature, custom data chunks etc.), but the interpretation of that data is entirely up to the programs that create these types of images or others that care to support it for whate

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is officially no such thing as "Animated PNG". It's a hack based on a proposal the W3C, the authority watching over web standards, never adopted. And there you have it. This format is merely exploiting some features that exist in the PNG spec, anyway (multiple draw regions/ canvases, faux "layers" by ways of same feature, custom data chunks etc.), but the interpretation of that data is entirely up to the programs that create these types of images or others that care to support it for whatever ulterior motive. Based on that, things like blending modes or layer groups aren't even in the spec and even assuming AE had basic support for this format would not necessarily come through looking the same is in the original program that created them. So for what it's worth, this format is useless in a professional context and yes, annoying as it may be, animated sequences are your only option if they offer no other export options. Again, this is one giant hack and it eludes me why they haven't bothered to fix it by supporting a proper PSD export or something like that, given that they claim to address "Pros" in the first place...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay good to know, I assumed (animated PNG)  it must be some sort of oddity but fascinating to have your perspective on the dark art of calling something a format. (Format might not be the right term so excuse my clumsy definitions if that be the case) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

how did you get around the issue of needing to export an animation with a transparent background from procreate to adobe after effects or premier? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines