• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it safe to delete Auto-Save files in "Adobe After Effects Auto-Save" folder?

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Good day to all!

So I have been working on on multiple projects now and once I'm done with my projects, I delete their After Effects Project Files afterwards.

However, I just noticed this day that the Auto-Save folder actually saves my projects' auto-saves, and my old and deleted projects are still in there. And since this actually takes up space, may I ask if it's ever safe to delete the files in the Auto-Save folder? Especially the old projects in it, and since it takes up storage. Or will it ruin my files, anything or such?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

No, the auto-save files are simply copies of your main project at given moments of time.  You can delete them without any effect on your main project file.

But as a point of workflow policy, I'd never delete them until the project is finished, rendered and signed off by the client.  Tidy up at the end of the job, not half way through.  

If you're so stretched for drive space that this is important, I'd suggest it time to upgrade your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So long as you have the current project file stored safely (and preferably backed up somewhere) then it is safe to delete all the auto-save files.  They are not linked in any way to any other project files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick answer! I appreciate it! But what about if I delete the Auto-Save files of my current project that I haven't rendered yet, but saved? Will something happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the auto-save files are simply copies of your main project at given moments of time.  You can delete them without any effect on your main project file.

But as a point of workflow policy, I'd never delete them until the project is finished, rendered and signed off by the client.  Tidy up at the end of the job, not half way through.  

If you're so stretched for drive space that this is important, I'd suggest it time to upgrade your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks a lot! I have a quite big space of storage left right now, and I was just worried that this will give a bigger size, like GB and such in the future if I don't delete them. I also just wanted to know if it's really safe to delete auto-save files in case. But thank you lots! I can now go on without worrying. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, can you please let me know where you can find the auto-save files? My acrobat has crashed and I just lost several days' work! Your help is appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines