• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Ramping/Easing Video More Robust in After Effects than Premiere?

Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Due to social media I'm progressiviely becoming more and more an After Effects animator from an H5 animator and have recently been tasked with editing/animating a 90-sec explainer video which has been so much fun. Premiere is so intruiging, and the stuff I'm having to troubleshoot is so rewarding. I've now come to the part from rough cut to fine cut where I'm having to really tighten sequence transitions and all the in-between polish that's involving taking that cut placement and really make it flow real slick and the process in Premiere so far feels rather stiff/rigid. 

It just doesn't have the exponential bezier flexibility that I'm used to in After Effects (and any animation environment really). Is this known and is After Effects better for really high intensity easing?  I'd think as an editor you'd be able to globally have that impact between frames/cuts etc. but so far it seems limiting. Is this just my lack of experience or do other artists find themselves doing certain high-intensity transitions in the titling/FX stage in After Effects instead of Premiere? As I find off the cuff it doesn't really have that flexibility I'm used to with going in and out from keyframes within motion environment. 

TOPICS
FAQ , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's inherent in the workflow. Editing programs just aren't meant for extensive animation and their code is fully optimized towards realtime playback. That simply means they sacrifice precision such as complex sub-frame sampling for animation in favor of guaranteed display of every frame and other things. In the old days of yore it even used to be that you couldn't import assets larger than the sequence size, many programs didn't have any mask tools and titles were genberated using special title editors, not native text. So you see where this is headed. Different tools for different tasks. Not sure what else you need to know. If you're feeling comfortable enough with AE for certain tasks then just use it. No point in trying to do things the hard way just to look smart.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects has Timewarp which is the formerly third party plug-in Khronos now included.  It usually has better image quality than Time Warp while taking longer to render.

Based on what you've described, you probably want to evaluate the trial version of Re:Vision Twixtor Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

That's good to know. Thanks so much for the response. I'll have to try that. I think I actually saw that years ago. I think it was originally the Foundry didn't they? I'm used to expeonential bezier easing and Premiere's little blue in-video time 'twiddler' is flipping ANNOYING!!! I'm still on this and I've been pulling my hair out just to get a basic "whooosh" zoom ramp. It keeps shrinking and stretching and back and forth and the thing won't ramp properly....at all. It's even on both sides and if I drag it to one end of the clip...it disappears...back to stretching...ARG!!! with no way to just set points and review. IMHO it's klunky as hell and just infuriating. 

Like why can't we just have time remap easing like After Effects?! - it works!  

Thanks so much again for the suggestion. I need it because I've suddenly become really bad at something relatively basic that I've done for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't even figure out how to remove the dang thing once it's on my video clip. Going back into the yellow tag and selecting it does nothing....?

Now I have this floating easing tag in my footage I can't remove. Incredibly unintuitive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines