• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is rotobrush 2 incompatible with additional masks?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in AE v18, using Rotobrush 2 to isolate some foreground elements in footage I'm compositing a person into. I've roto-ed these elements and I'd like to add an additional mask to these layers to hide a bit of the image too time consuming to roto with the brush (working with low-contrast footage), but are easy to hide with a tracked rectangle mask. But masks don't have any effect on layers with the rotobrush effect applied.

Are roto-brushed layers incompatible with masks (if so, why?), or have I stumbled upon a bug?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bug or any of that. RB simply bypasses/ overrides the normal effects render order due to how it operates on the footage source itme. There's some other effects that behave similarly, even if it's annoying. Simply pre-compose the RB stuff and apply your masks in the parent comp.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mylenium,

Thanks for your feedback. I tried pre-comping my roto layer and still had issues applying masks to the pre-comp. I moved on to a different workflow instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Don't really understand why I can't use rotobrush and normal masking. It would make a lot of sense to use these two tools together to create a good mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although pre-composing does work partly for my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines