• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to call Collect Files with Extendscript?

Participant ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to create a script that collects files to a watch folder on the network and triggers our render machines that are watching said folder to start rendering, all with the click of a single button. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to call File>Dependencies>Collect Files with Extendscript. Is there away to do that? So far I've only found a script that manually copies all the files itself rather than using AE's Collect Files feature, but doing this fails to trigger the render from the computers watching the folder.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To call to call File>Dependencies>Collect Files try this one:

app.executeCommand(2482);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Thanks! I should've mentioned I actually had tried that one but the problem is it still requires the user to browse to a directory and confirm. I'd like to be able to collect to a predefined directory without further input from the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m afraid there is no way to avoid that user dialog.

AFAIK the only way to do that is to write collect function from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I actually found a collect script written from scratch that I can use. It'll copy all dependent files to the directory. It doesn't trigger the render machines watching that directory to start rendering though. Do you know if there's a way to force it to trigger the render from any machines watching that output directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, just add

app.project.renderQueue.item(index).render

or

app.project.renderQueue.render();

after your project will be ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nah, that starts the render on the machine I'm collecting from. I'm trying to collect files from my current machine to the network, and have render machines (NOT the computer I'm collecting from) that are watching that output directory start rendering. They'll do that if I use AE's built in Collect Files feature, but not if I manually collect the files to the output directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Setup watch folder on your render machines.

2. Collect files with enabled option ("Enable Watch Folder render").

3. Copy all collected files and folders to Watch Folder.

4. Render will automatically start on all machines.

So if the script you found haven`t "Enable Watch Folder render", it can be implemented to it.

AFAIK this option creates new text file like projectname_RCF.text

and consists something like this:

After Effects 12.2v1 Render Control File

max_machines=5

num_machines=0

init=0

html_init=0

html_name=""

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah yeah, I had seen those files but I wasn't sure if that was created by the render, or if the creation of the text file in a watched directory is what triggered the render. I suspected it might (unfortunately) be the former since the file is updated as it renders (num_machines is the number of machines currently participating in the render). I'll see if I can recreate the RCF text file when I manually collect, and hopefully it'll trigger the render. Might not get to it until next week, though.

Thanks, for now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BlueBeezle,

Could you share the code that does the "Collect Files" action?

I've written my own code and it's correctly copying the files to a location.

However, some FootageItems come from the same Illustrator file (for example bookstore.ai),

but are referring to different layers of that file.

When writing my function (to simulate "Collect Files"), do you know how to tell AfterEffects

to use a specific layer for that item?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just saw this!

I'm not quite following what you're asking, but I'd be happy to share the code - I found it online, so pardon the French

function collect($dir) { //dossierRassembler, c'est le dossier de destination, plan, c'est une chaine de caractère : le nom du projet/numéro du plan, ou n'importe quoi d'autre défini par l'utilisateur

//créer le dossier du plan

var projectDir = new Folder($dir);

var footageDir = new Folder(projectDir.absoluteURI + "\\(Footage)\\");

projectDir.create();

footageDir.create();

//pour chaque item, si c'est un footage Item, le copier au nouvel emplacement dans le bon sous dossier puis le relinker

var item;

var targetFile;

for (i = 1; i <= app.project.numItems; i++)

{

var item = app.project.item(i);

if (item instanceof FootageItem)

{

//créer le dossier

var targetDir = new Folder(footageDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.parentFolder.name + "\\");

if (!targetDir.exists)

targetDir.create();

if (item.file != null && !item.footageMissing)

{

var extension = item.file.name.substring(item.file.name.lastIndexOf(".")+1).toLowerCase();

if (item.mainSource.isStill) // si c'est fixe

{

targetFile = new File(targetDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);

if (!targetFile.exists)

{

//déplacer

item.file.copy(targetDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);

//relink

item.replace(targetFile);

}

}

else if (extension != "jpg" && extension != "jpeg" && extension != "png" && extension != "tga" && extension != "tif" && extension != "tiff" && extension != "exr" && extension != "bmp" && extension != "pxr"  && extension != "pct"  && extension != "hdr" && extension != "rla"  && extension != "ai" && extension != "cin" && extension != "dpx") {// si c'est pas un format d'image fixe

if (!targetFile.exists)

{

//déplacer

//relink

}

}

else

{ // reste les séquences d'images

//copie et remplacement en cas de séquence de fichier

//récupérer la liste des images et créer le nouveau dossier de destination

var dossierSequence = item.file.parent;

var frameSequence = dossierSequence.getFiles();

var dossierSequenceTarget = new Folder(targetDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + dossierSequence.name + "\\");

dossierSequenceTarget.create();

targetFile = new File(dossierSequenceTarget.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);

if (!targetFile.exists)

{

//copier les frames

for (j=0;j<frameSequence.length;j++)

{

frameSequence.copy(dossierSequenceTarget.absoluteURI + "\\" + frameSequence.name);

}

//relink

item.replaceWithSequence(targetFile, true);

}

delete dossierSequence;

delete frameSequence;

delete dossierSequenceTarget;

}

delete extension;

}

delete targetDir;

}

}

//sauvegarder le projet

app.project.save(new File(projectDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + app.project.file.name));

//virer les variables

delete projectDir;

delete footageDir;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, needed this myself! I tweaked the code a bit though because this threw an error if you had an image sequence with sub-folders within the parent directory (if that makes sense). It also didn't remember alpha interpretation settings, so I added that too. Here's my version if anyone wants it (I also translated the french):

//Folder Gather, this is the destination folder, map, it's a character string: the name of the project / plan number, or anything else defined by the user

function collect(collectDir) { //dossierRassembler, c'est le dossier de destination, plan, c'est une chaine de caractère : le nom du projet/numéro du plan, ou n'importe quoi d'autre défini par l'utilisateur

//créer le dossier du plan

//// create the plan folder

projectName = app.project.file.name.slice(0,-4);

var projectDir = new Folder(collectDir.toString() + "/" + projectName + "_COLLECT");

var footageDir = new Folder(projectDir.absoluteURI + "\\(Footage)\\");

projectDir.create();

footageDir.create();

//pour chaque item, si c'est un footage Item, le copier au nouvel emplacement dans le bon sous dossier puis le relinker

// for each item, if it's a footage item, copy it to the new location in the correct subfolder and then relinker

var item;

var targetFile;

for (i = 1; i <= app.project.numItems; i++)

{

var item = app.project.item(i);

if (item instanceof FootageItem)

{

//créer le dossier

// create the folder

var targetDir = new Folder(footageDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.parentFolder.name + "\\");

if (!targetDir.exists)

targetDir.create();

if (item.file != null && !item.footageMissing)

{

var extension = item.file.name.substring(item.file.name.lastIndexOf(".")+1).toLowerCase();

if (item.mainSource.isStill) // si c'est fixe

{

if (!targetFile.exists)

{

//move

//relink

}

}

else if (extension != "jpg" && extension != "jpeg" && extension != "png" && extension != "tga" && extension != "tif" && extension != "tiff" && extension != "exr" && extension != "bmp" && extension != "pxr"  && extension != "pct"  && extension != "hdr" && extension != "rla"  && extension != "ai" && extension != "cin" && extension != "dpx") {// si c'est pas un format d'image fixe

if (!targetFile.exists)

{

//move

//relink

}

}

else

{ // reste les séquences d'images     Remains the sequences of images

//copie et remplacement en cas de séquence de fichier     Copy and replace in the case of a file sequence

//récupérer la liste des images et créer le nouveau dossier de destination        Retrieve the list of images and create the new destination folder

var dossierSequence = item.file.parent;

var frameSequence = dossierSequence.getFiles();

var dossierSequenceTarget = new Folder(targetDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + dossierSequence.name + "\\");

dossierSequenceTarget.create();

targetFile = new File(dossierSequenceTarget.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);

if (!targetFile.exists)

{

//copier les frames

for (j=0; j<frameSequence.length; j++)

{                      

if (frameSequence instanceof File) {

frameSequence.copy(dossierSequenceTarget.absoluteURI + "\\" + frameSequence.name);

}

}

//relink

// This is a bit scary so if anything crashes, look here first!

app.executeCommand(2004);   // desect all

item.selected = true;

app.executeCommand(2254);   // remember interpretation

item.replaceWithSequence(targetFile, true);

item.selected = true;

app.executeCommand(2255);   //  apply interpretation

}

delete dossierSequence;

delete frameSequence;

delete dossierSequenceTarget;

}

delete extension;

}

delete targetDir;

}

}

//sauvegarder le projet

app.project.save(new File(projectDir.absoluteURI + "\\" + app.project.file.name));

//virer les variables

delete projectDir;

delete footageDir;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I revisited this on a new project and decided to rewrite it basically from scratch. It's much cleaner/more robust now, and in every way I can think of mimics the features of the default Collect Files function (except one small limitation mentioned below).

You can get it here: Collect function for whoever wants it! - AE ENHANCERS

Enjoy!

- Spencer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spencer, this file no longer exists. Could you update it or send it to me by mail?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure where their file went, but here is a function I rewrote for my own workflow. Hopefully this works for yours as well.

function collect_files(target_path){

// extract project name, removing the .ae
    var project_name = app.project.file.name.slice(0,-4);

var project_dir = new Folder(target_path.toString() + "/" + project_name + "_COLLECT");
    var footage_dir = new Folder(project_dir.absoluteURI + "\\(Footage)\\");

for (i = 1; i <= app.project.numItems; i++){
        item = app.project.item(i)

// Check these before continuing.
        if (item instanceof FootageItem == false){continue};
        if (item.file == null){continue};
        if (item.footageMissing){continue};

// Get item's extension. Will be used to differentiate between image sequences and other media.
        var item_extension = item.file.name.substring(item.file.name.lastIndexOf(".") + 1).toLowerCase();

// Make the item's directory if it doesn't exist
        var item_dir = new Folder(footage_dir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.parentFolder.name);
        if (!item_dir.exists){item_dir.create()};

// Create target dir and target file variables
        var target_dir = new Folder(footage_dir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.parentFolder.name);
        var target_file = new File(target_dir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);

// Break if target file already exists
        if (target_file.exists){continue}

// If the target is a still.
        if (item.mainSource.isStill){
            item.file.copy(target_dir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);
            item.replace(target_file);
            continue
        }

// list of still image extensions
        var still_extensions = ['jpg', 'jpeg', 'png', 'gif', 'bmp', 'svg', 'webp', 'ico', 'tif', 'tiff', 'eps', 'raw', 'ai', 'ps', 'indd', 'pdf', 'xcf', 'sketch', 'xd', 'cin', 'dpx','exr','pxr','rla','hdr','tga'];

// If it's a video file (doesn't contain an image extension)
        if (still_extensions.indexOf(item_extension) == -1){
            item.file.copy(target_dir.absoluteURI + "\\" + item.file.name);
            item.replace(target_file);
            continue
        }

// If it's a image sequence.
        if (still_extensions.indexOf(item_extension) != -1){
            var source_folder = item.file.parent;
            var frames = source_folder.getFiles();

for (f = 0; f<frames.length; f++){
                frame = frames[f]
                frame.copy(target_dir.toString() + "\\" + frame.name)
            }

try {
                item.replaceWithSequence(target_file, true)
            } catch (e){
                alert(item.name)
            }

}
    }

app.project.save(new File(project_dir.absoluteURI + "\\" + app.project.file.name));
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time to share this code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines