• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to have an interlaced timeline/composition in AE?

Guide ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use my Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle with AE but I cannot seem to configure a 1080i (interlaced) timeline/composition.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In after effects there is no need to specify the interlacing in the composition.  But you need to make sure that the footage is being interpreted correctly. Do this by selecting the footage in the project panel and going to file – interpret footage – main.  And here you can choose how the footage is deinterlaced for working in after effects. With the settings correct, you will be working on fields even though you can only see frames (if that makes sense).

When you are ready to render out, inThe render settings, you can choose whether you want to render fields or keep it progressive. Here's more info;

Importing and interpreting video and audio in After Effects

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hip to interlace video and progressive video. Having said that I want to setup an interlaced timeline even though the video files are 1080P. 1080P at 30 and 60 frames per second playback just fine in an interlaced timeline when using broadcast equipment. In fact the motion graphics will playback smother with 1080i as opposed to a 1080p at 30 frames per second. 1080P at 60 frames per seconds plays back motion graphics smooth but it takes more CPU and GPU resource to do so. Do you see why I want a 1080i timeline? The video below might help explain it better?

https://youtu.be/u_gOE67i-MI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem, because I have to work with interlaced source footage. I have to do a frame by frame (field by field) mask. The problem is, if I cannot see the fields in the timeline, I cannot do the masking correctly. Displaying fields is essential here. Is there no way After Effects can display fields in the timeline? Cause that means I'd have to switch to another application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have interlaced footage then just double the frame rate of the composition. Now you can see every field. This is one way to check for field order. 

If the footage is cut, you'll have to change the field order between each cut so you'll need more than one comp if you are working with interlaced footage that was edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the workaround. I will try that.

Hey Adobe, how about implementing field preview in composition settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I forgot to mention that you have to separate fields. The double the frame rate trick is what you use to see if the field order is correct. You can also check it for film transferred to tape with 3:2 pulldown. 

Doubling the frame rate and checking field order is a very old trick. It's the only way I know of to see every field. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines