• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keying black, set to screen or color range key?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image with some smoke and a microphone and a more or less black background. I want to make the black transparent. I set the clip to screen but this makes the clip to transparent. When I key the black with color range key its not perfect, to much of the smoke dissapears. Is there any alternative to these?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried unmult on other frames but it seems really bad, you can not kontroll the keying, a lot of the image dussapears, it seems hopeless. But it does key the black + other colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you get the idea. I duno if the link works.

m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be a cover song, its not mixed and mastered yet so for the test-shot video we use the original Eagles version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add some smoke/mist infront of the mic and singer to blend the scene better.

I think maybe you dont discuss artistic aspects of a comp. and thats ok (NOT!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are still going to need two copies of your mic. One with the body of the mic masked to use as a normal layer on top to sleep the brightest parts of the mic layer from blowing out, and another copy below that using the screen or add blend mode to mix the smoke with the background. Unmult will not help you blend pixels. It only creates transparency. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I will do that in the "real" video, I just wanted to show you a clip of the idéa, the test video of the art.

it will be very nice with your solution and its not much work.

I will test myleniumschannel blending but thats more work to learn something new, I am not familiar with that technique. Many thanx Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rolf5E3D 

Here's an example of an image where Unmult works really well that's free from Adobe Stock:

https://stock.adobe.com/images/abstract-of-christmas-and-bokeh-light-with-glitter-background/3274146...

WarrenHeaton_0-1658454103864.png

You'd want to shoot your footage such that the blacks in comparison to the lighter pixels look like this.  Or in the case of your current shot, you would want to get the blacks in your shot to look as close to this as possible.  It's ricky that you have a solid object (the microphone) and some masking may be needed to help that remain present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mayby it would be perfect if I use a mask first, I did not spend much time on it. I have the plugin now if I need it, thanx Warren!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used colored detergent with some opacifier in it and this is dripping. With the Saber plugin I made it look like molten metal. This can be greatly improved but it works. I will have this dripping as the gallium mic melts, also flowing on the fingers/hand of the singer holding the gallium mic as it metlts.

https://youtu.be/lpCVY4b4b0k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines