• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kinks in Wave Warp effect

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on an animation to use as a background in an app. On the top and bottom of the screen, I'm using two Wave Warp effects. I've found that as the waves get longer and taller, little kinks start appearing, as shown below Wave Warp kinks.png

I've noticed that the kinks (or whatever you call them) appear when the wave height gets above 50, and the weave width gets above 350. The composition size is 1440 wide and 2960 tall (Galaxy Note 10 screen). I've tried adding a gaussian blur and then another effect on top of that, per a tutorial I found, but that didn't help at all. Any tutorials or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get waves interacting so points are formed as the phases interact with each other if you use two copies on the same layer. That will give you the points you are looking at. You can also clip the waves if they extend beyond the layer size. You can solve that problem by applying Grow Bounds above Wave Warp and increasing the value enough to fix the clipping. Here's what I mean:

Screenshot_2019-07-01 10.38.43_Kn7Kl4.png

The mask was added to the solid to prevent clipping, but when the values exceeded the layer height Grow Bounds fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was a huge help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Rick said - likely you're using unfavorable wave phase settings. Tweak them ever so slightly. Also consider separating the steps with pre-composing. Applying a second instance on a comp sized buffer is different from applying it to an already mangled shrunk layer...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, found an acceptable workaround using DisplacementMap being fed by a subComp that used waveWarp to create a GradientRamp that feeds back to it. See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzMfxAiZh4A

Hope it helps somebody out there. 
-remo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines