Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lagging PC and RAM issues

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI all,

I am fairly new to AE but i have done my research on what could cause this issue but so far nothing has worked. I have a very pwoer ful PC
7950x

128GB DDR 5 4666

RTX 4090

2x 1tB Nvme

When i use AE, i have allocated 100gb of ram 
i have a Nvme just for cache 

and somehow, i run out of ram and my pc freezes and then i have to reboot. how is this possible?

Can someone guide me why my PC cant handle my work, i am doing VERY simple video editing. Its nothing special, no special effects or anything that would use more resources. All i am doing is editing videos of people talking.

The project has around 50 clips and its pushing the 10 hour mark. I have split it up into 40 compositions. Is this an issue?
I just assumed my PC would be able to handle the work

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Performance , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

You trim your shots or edit them in Premiere Pro. The shots that need visual effects are then moved to After Effects. If the effects are complex and the render times are long, you render the effects shots and replace the original shots in your edit in the Premiere sequence. 

This is how Sony Pictures, Universal Studios, George Lucas, Industrial Light and Magic, Pixar, Disney, and every other production house in the world makes movies with visual effects in them. The software may be different,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VizCourse,

Thanks for writing in.

After Effects is used to work on short VFX shots. The way it generates the preview is different from the video editing apps like Premiere Pro. Here's an article that should help. For your project, I'd suggest using Premiere Pro. It'll be much easier and fast to edit clips in Premiere Pro.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, ill have a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still doesnt make sense how i cant edit a simple video with the PC specs i have.

So what i have to do, is go into premier pro, edit all the video footage, then bring it back into AE and add any elements that i want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You trim your shots or edit them in Premiere Pro. The shots that need visual effects are then moved to After Effects. If the effects are complex and the render times are long, you render the effects shots and replace the original shots in your edit in the Premiere sequence. 

This is how Sony Pictures, Universal Studios, George Lucas, Industrial Light and Magic, Pixar, Disney, and every other production house in the world makes movies with visual effects in them. The software may be different, but the workflow is the same. Trying to do everything at once in a single app is inefficient and the potential for disaster is huge. 

I work mostly in narrative storytelling, and I do a lot of visual effects. More than 90% of my AE comps are less than 7 seconds and one shot. Even when I do explainer videos or cut music videos that are full of effects, the longest comp is one phrase, or a couple of bars of music, or one thought and they are edited in my NLE of choice for the project. I use Premiere Pro and After Effects for about 80% of the work. Davinci for about the next 18%, and Final Cut Pro and Motion for about 2%. On rare occasions, I'll throw Nuke into the mix, but only when a client requires it. 

Probably the longest piece I have ever cut entirely in After Effects in the last 30 years was a 60-second TV commercial that was entirely motion graphics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great explanation. Thanks for taking the time to write this!
Appreiciate it, ill dig into some tutorials and learn Prem Pro for my editing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issues for much shorter clips (30-60 sec) on an almost identically specced PC.

The real answer is unfortunately just that AE is an unfathomably badly optimized piece of software.

I get new and different bugs every time I open the program, and feel blessed if I get to use it for more than 30 min without crashing. I've used AE for years, and ever since the CC transition this has just been how it operates.
With Adobes track record it's safe to say they'll never improve in any meaningful way, and some day dwindle and fade out as they are overtaken by competitors who are actually motivated to make good software. If you're not too invested into AE (as it seems you're not) you should look into some much better alternatives like Davinci and Nuke etc.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So i took Ricks advice and just used premier Pro. 
My editing time has sped up 10x as i dont get the errors of no more ram and all that, i use AE to make the special effects, then i import that comp into Prem Pro. Works like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines