• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer with FX in pre-comp turns invisible in main comp - when FX is turned off, it appears again!

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a AI text layer in a pre-comp, and have used STROKE to make it appear as though it is written on over 2 seconds. In the main comp, the layer does not appear visibile in my preview. When I turn the FX off, the text appears fine in the main comp. All layers are on rasterise, no guide layers are being used.

Video attached, blurry but it shows you the gist of what I am saying. Any help would be hot!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video is showing as unavailable, can you try again?

Two other questions, is the pre-comp 3D by any chance, and either way, is the Collapse Transformations switch turned on for the pre-comp? This is the same switch as Continuously Rasterize for layers, but it functions differently for pre-comps. If it is enabled, try disabling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded the video in more detail below. No 3D layers are being used - just one ai file that I have duplicated and am reveal different parts of it (circle and text) at different times using the Stroke effect. Really simple stuff.

It seems the 2nd layer I have, does not appear in the main comp unless I turn off the effect. 

Any help on this would be fantastic!

https://youtu.be/N2lZwt4iWHE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a classic misunderstanding about how continuous rasterization works and how it affects effects processing order. In many cases you can't have both and based on your description that would be the case here. As such you would have to scale the text larger in the pre-comp to gain more resolution and forego CR.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't have both a rasterized ai layer with effects on? I have two layers which are identical, I have used the stroke effect on both, only one of them has the condition that it dissappears in the main comp. No 3D layers, no fancy tricks...just 'reveal on original image' makes the main comp show the layer as invisible.

I have attached a further video going through the process fully. Any help of yours would be fantastic!

https://youtu.be/N2lZwt4iWHE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your video is set to private and thus unwatchable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies! Changed to unlisted now! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried re-ordering the masks and changing their modes?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately yes, it seems the order of the masks or their style have no effect on the issue. :🤔 

I can apply other effects to the layer and they work fine such as gaussian blur or scribble. But as soon as stroke or write on is applied - bam! - dissappears. This does not happen to the other layer which is a duplicate. 

I have tried deleting the layer and starting over, but it happens each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

have you tried !Paint on Transparent" in teh stroke effect instead of painting on the original? This is certainly an odd issue, but I have a hunch that it has something to do with how the effect generates the buffer...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines