• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers of .ai logo imported to AE cant be edited individually?

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to add animations to different layers of my logo which I imported from Illustrator. When I select layers 2-6 they don't even select anything in the composition panel. FTR I imported as composition - retain layer size. Even though all layers are listed individually, only layer 1 selects the entire logo and is the only layer that can be edited.

I thought I separated all my layers correctly in Illustrator, so is this an issue with how I saved my work in Illustrator or rather something I'm doing wrong in AE? The layers are displayed independently but 2-6 act as though they are merged to layer 1 which I don't understand why.

Through a lot of searching, I haven't found any solutions to my problem, so any targeted advice to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated since I am stuck. 

AE Layer Issue.JPG

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

You have either hidden your layer controls or the AI file was not properly prepared and there is no content in the AI layers. Reveal the transform properties and rotate or scale any of the layers manually. If nothing changes, the layer is empty and you need to fix the AI file and import it again. You can also check the info preview in the Project panel to see if the layer has any size.

If you have hidden the layer controls press Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + H to show (or hide) them. You can also use th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

I don't know where the idea came from that you should convert vector layers (Illustrator files) to shape layers. Converting a vector layer to a shape layer is a bad idea unless you are going to do one of these things:

• Animate the vector path
  • Use a shape layer animator like Trim Paths or Repeater
  • Extrude the layer using the C4D rendering option for 3D. shape layers
  • Create a 3D comp that you plan to export as a C4D file
  • You want to use a path to a motion path (and that gets very complicated very

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have either hidden your layer controls or the AI file was not properly prepared and there is no content in the AI layers. Reveal the transform properties and rotate or scale any of the layers manually. If nothing changes, the layer is empty and you need to fix the AI file and import it again. You can also check the info preview in the Project panel to see if the layer has any size.

If you have hidden the layer controls press Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + H to show (or hide) them. You can also use the View menu to turn them on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed the AI file was not prepared properly as layer sizes were 1x1 in Project panel.

Per the image below, I've selected all layers and 'Released to Layers (Sequence)'. Per an YouTube tutorial I tried to select all 4 layers after and drag and drop them below, but nothing happened. So I just saved the file and imported to AE. When I imported this in AE I had 2 problems:

1. I am now able to select individual layers in my timeline, but when I try to Create Shapes from Vector Layer I get the message that "Not all layers were converted because of empty or unsupported content"

2. My red 'ring' become a grey box. It's an imported PNG. My intention is to make it spin.

Having a hard to figuring out the solution now. I assume I have to create shapes from vector layer in order to create the animations I want such as spinning, glowing and flying text, etc. 

Screenshot (18).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I cannot edit my previous message i'll add details here.

It seems as though I cannot create shapes from Font layers, as well as the imported PNG. 

As far as I understand based on Adobe's Illustrator tutorials, "any illustrator layer can be converted into a shape layer". So even though my 4 layers are all .ai files, only 1 of them is considered a "true" illustrator layer. I'm pretty confused by this. Trying to find the work around is somebody runs into the same problem as me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know where the idea came from that you should convert vector layers (Illustrator files) to shape layers. Converting a vector layer to a shape layer is a bad idea unless you are going to do one of these things:

• Animate the vector path
  • Use a shape layer animator like Trim Paths or Repeater
  • Extrude the layer using the C4D rendering option for 3D. shape layers
  • Create a 3D comp that you plan to export as a C4D file
  • You want to use a path to a motion path (and that gets very complicated very quickly)
  • You want to write an expression that refers to sourceRectAtTime() to find the center of the layer's contents

When you convert Vectors to Shapes, render time and preview time increase. Raster effects such as Drop Shadow and Gradients are not supported. Brush strokes are converted to closed and filled paths. Shape blends, masks, and most effects are not supported. You lose almost everything except simple color fills and lines with only a stroke applied. There is no advantage.

When preparing an Illustrator file for After Effects, you should follow these rules:

The Document Settings should be set to use Pixels or points instead of inches or cm.  The Artboard size should be the same dimensions as the Comp size - 1920 X 1080 points or pixels for HD. Every element that you want to animate must be on a separate layer. Any path you wish to use as a motion path should be on a separate layer, and a Rectangle the same size as the comp frame size must be centered on the artboard and below the paths intended you intend to convert to a Shape layer to be used as motion paths. All Layers should be appropriately named. If you use 1-point strokes in your design, it is essential to turn on pixel preview and magnify the artboard to 400% or more to ensure the lines are lined up with the pixel grid. Having Snap to Pixel turned on is always a good idea.

I probably missed a few things. Almost every post I see on the forums that want help with Illustrator files would not have been written if the files were prepared correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines