Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ligatures not working in After Effects

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to use text with ligatures in After Effects, but it doesn't work. I have checked the box that says "Ligatures" in the Character Panel. I'm using the font FFF Acid Grotesk, that shows ligatures when used in Photoshop and other software. Copying + pasting the glyph from Photoshop into AE does not work.

Any ideas?

AE version 23.0 (Build 59)

macOS Ventura 13.2.1

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with Georgia. The ligatures are not showing even though I have the option enabled.
I solved this by pasting it from Windows Character Map. Go Bill Gates! 
Win 10 Pro
AE 23.4.0 (Build 53)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if... (and I'm guessing here as I don't have that font) you switch from Metrics to Optical,does that improve the situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing changes. I just discovered that some ligatures work, but not all.
In the attached images, red is Photoshop and black is After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, same here...some (standard?) ligatures work, others (discretionary) won't  😞 while Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign have even dedicated panels, it's lacking in After Effects, despite having a checkbox in the type panel, saying "ligatures"...

The only workaround i know seems to be "moving" these ligatures within the font file itself (with a font editor) and of course using outlines, but that's a real pain in the ***. Hope there's someone at Adobe listening/reading...

AE 23.6.0 , btw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines