• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Light/White Interface theme option for After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to customize or modify After Effects to make it have a white/light interface ?

I know that you can go to Preferences > Appearance, and drag the brightness slider up, but that doesn't change it enough, it is still very dark and straining on my vison and hard to use for long periods of time, if anyone knows some mod or config file change that would allow me to this, it would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, addressing Adobe:

Could you please bring back a light/white interface for After Effects and Premiere Pro, I am a working professional and I have some vision issues and the very dark interface greatly stresses and strains my vision making it impossible for me to work for long periods of time, I know that this isn't a difficult feature to implement given that it was literally the default interface in older versions of after effects, and some versions could go all the way from dark grey to basically white with the brightness slider , the current slider under: Preferences > Appearance > Brightness, is basically useless given how little of a difference it makes, please bring back a feature that was essential for users like myself to use the software comfortably, even Photoshop and adobe bridge allow you to go to: Preferences > Interface > Appearance > Color Theme, and give you a wider range of options, all the way to white, please implement this into After Effects and Premiere Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

TarekAlShawwa  wrote

To address Adobe, go here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

and here:

After Effects: Hot (1358 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will note that the background for this web page is  WHITE.  To make things easy to see. 

I agree with you, but I don't think the light is on in Adobe's refrigerator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TarekAlShawwa  wrote

To address Adobe, go here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

and here:

After Effects: Hot (1358 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this request. Dark interface turns our screen almost into a mirror for glare.
A brighter interface would let us motion designers and video editors work in more "normal" office environments and sometimes we have to share those environments with other professionals. 
Not all of us like to work in dark caves and wear dark clothes. If I wear a white t-shirt I can see myself reflecting in my After Effects timeline. 
Adobe please let us be able to open the blinds 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a UX/UI Designer, I am so confused as to why Adobe After Effects software STILL doesn't follow ADA Accessibility Guidelines for the user interface. I should be able to access this by Preferences > User Interface > Brightness. Does Adobe After Effects just not care about this issue at all and think that all of it's users are 20-something people with perfect eyesight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a hack... I just found it... After years of complaining you wouldn't believe how pleased I am. I can't understand why no one has shared this before. Here's the steps...

• Open the console (ctrl+f12)
  • Type AUI in the search box
  • Enable the checkbox next to the top two (AE.EnableV7DVAUISkins and svaiu.skinmanager.UseV7SkinOverride)
  • Restart After Effects
  • Go into Edit > Preferences > Appearance
  • The appearance preferences will have changed quite significantly - rather than a brightness slider you now have the option of Darkest, Dark and Light color themes
  • Pick the light one and enjoy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to follow these instructions. What is the console? I understand the Windows Command Prompt to be the console but the Command Prompt doesn't have a search box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy !

I found how to do this.

When you open the console panel, you got 3 bars then click on it and you got a menu appears with "Debug Database View". Click on it and then "BOOM" you have the search to ping on the good items and click on the options "(AE.EnableV7DVAUISkins and svaiu.skinmanager.UseV7SkinOverride)".

Restart After Effect and enjoy !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for that reply. I don't actually know what the console panel is. When I googled it the answer seemed to suggest it's for developers only. I'm not sure I'd know what to do in there without absolute step by step instructions. I don't know what you mean by, "... the search to ping on the good items and click on the options "(AE.EnableV7DVAUISkins and svaiu.skinmanager.UseV7SkinOverride)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I was struggling the same thing.  Console is something you can access in after effects.

In after effects, if you are on Mac like me hit Command + f12 (with fn key if it doesn't work just with f12) and you will see the console window.  From there, hit burger menu and click Debug Database View.  From there you can follow all instruction.  Attaching Youtube Shorts that helped me to figure 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r4-tdl_nqQ

â–º 20,000+ Templates For After Effects and Premiere Pro: https://bit.ly/UnlimitedAETemplates â–º Free 100 Template Pack from us for Premiere & After Effects here: https://bit.ly/Free100Templates Learn how to change the UI Color of Adobe After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey nick ive been following your instruction and its work , my workspace on After effects Now turning into White , Everityhing Is White While I activate Your Instruction IN 

AE.EnableV7DVAUISkins and svaiu.skinmanager.UseV7SkinOverride 

But Now i have a Problem with them , 

So why everytihing In After effects Goes White Skin Buat My Timeline Where i Work With it Keep As Black Colors , Did You Have Same Problem As me ? 

I cant See What the Name & Anythings Section Like Layer names , label , On off Layer , All of them , so It could Be Set them into black Theme again To work Normaly , 
did You have Any Solution On it / Something else Find Same Problem As me & Have The solution ? 

Thanks For Step By Step Tuts By The Way 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I hated this too, but they seem to have fixed it in AE 2024 - just download the update and it now looks like this!

niiick01_0-1697534694615.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to follow this instruction, but it ended with crashing After Effects after restarting the AE :')

anyone know how to revert changes of the consoles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMCSoftware_0-1692370973252.png

Thanks!! It actually works!! I love you XD I've been killing my eyes for years using the dark theme. The option to change the theme must be by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I can't find the opion for AE.EnableV7DVAUISkins or svaiu.skinmanager.UseV7SkinOverride in the consol (in the Debug Datebase View)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that in the new version (24.1), that option no longer appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

feel sad to know that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi bro, how you managed to fix that crash? after turning on that option my after effects keeps crashing and i dont even know how to undo that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same, I don't really know, crash still continue at that time, i just pick the last option to clean uninstall After Effects and start from 0 and I won't retry with the same version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found solution how to crash the fix, just immediately press or hold ctrl + alt + shift.
it will reset preferences, hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey All, do you know where I can get and add AE.EnableV7DVAUISkins and svaiu.skinmanager.UseV7SkinOverride ??? Or an alternative way to have a light background color theme? 'Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi...'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines