• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line to Bouncy wave: Animation

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you animate a straight line bouncing into a waveform? More like a line squeeze into ripple turning to a waveform. I don't want the path to travel, but transform rather. Attached a Reference below

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Cool - I may have an answer for you, then! 

If desired, you can have total control over every one of the peaks and valleys, if that's what you're looking for. Using multiple shapes within a single shape layer, and making use of Merge Paths, you can create some pretty complex shapes while still being able to keyframe the position, size, etc. of each component. 

Screenshot 2022-05-25 171557.jpg

Of course, these shapes' positions could all be driven by expressions (even simple ones like wiggle), if you're just looking for MOVEMEN

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you specifically needing this to be audio-driven, or more of an abstraction of that kind of look? 
Since you're saying "transform, not travel," I take it to mean you're NOT looking for left-right movement, but just having these extensions "bouncing" up/down off the flat line - is that a semi-accurate description? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle, thanks for prompt reply. What im wanting to have is a definite shape and not a random wave structure. And I don't think audio driven expression will give me a definite form of wave. So, like you said, more of an abstraction. Your description above is pretty much accurate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - I may have an answer for you, then! 

If desired, you can have total control over every one of the peaks and valleys, if that's what you're looking for. Using multiple shapes within a single shape layer, and making use of Merge Paths, you can create some pretty complex shapes while still being able to keyframe the position, size, etc. of each component. 

Screenshot 2022-05-25 171557.jpg

Of course, these shapes' positions could all be driven by expressions (even simple ones like wiggle), if you're just looking for MOVEMENT, but don't want to keyframe everything yourself. I've attached my simple example here, in case you want to poke around and get an idea how to approach this. 

This tutorial doesn't address this exact use case, but is good for getting an understanding on how shape layers work, and how you can combine (and subtract) shapes to create more complex setups like this. 

https://youtu.be/heYi6xLWvB0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kyle, Im so sorry i couldn't respond back to acknowlegde your reply here. Thanks a lot for your solution. It really did work for me. Sorry again for extremely delayed reply. Cheers mate! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries - glad it was helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines