• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lines going back in 3D, but the stroke stays the same?

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm sure this is easy, but I can't figure it out. I just want the vertical lines (on the sides of the race track. See attached)) to "go back" in 3d space ... But, I want the stroke widths to staty the same.  I thought I could do it with the Repeater, but no luck so far.  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Taper function on stroked paths to simulate an object receding into the distance.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.28.21 pm.png

But, depending on what you're trying to achieve, it might make a lot more sense to build your environment in 3D, rather than simulate it.  Here's two straight stroked paths, rotated in 3D so that they naturally recede into the distance.  Working in real 3D space will give you much more opportunity to interact with other elements in 3D space, plus the ability to light, add depth of field etc.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.32.04 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With thin lines such as yours you're going to run into all kinds of trouble, no matter what the method, but yes, as Andrew suggested, using AE's native 3D capabilities, limited as they may be, would likely be a better way to go about this. Otherwise you'll have to do it the old, hard way and animate the parallax scrolling by hand or using expressions on individual layers.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Andrew and Mylenium!

The thing is, I was trying to keep the stroke widths consistent as they go back in space. It fits the style of the illustration.

I managed a workaround by scaling down one line and using an expression to keep the stroke width consistent (and then repeating it) . Here's the rough result.

andrewdraws_0-1631100583884.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines