Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loads Wrong PSD File on Import

Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm trying to import a psd file as a composition and AE keeps loading a different file from the same folder - I tried saving my file with a new name in a different folder and AE just picked a different wrong file to load. I'm not sure if I'm being clear. AE loads/creates a new composition with the correct file name, I have the same file open in PS just to confirm, but the contents of the file, i.e., the layers, are from a different PSD file that I've got saved in that same folder.

Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Well, why don't you just disable the sequence option if you only want to import single PSD fiels? I think you are completely misunderstanding this.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking whether you have the "Sequence" option enabled in the import dialog. Of course this would mess up things. Also clear out the disk caches. Other than that more info would be required about storage locations, actual file names, contents of the PSDs, your project in AE and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sequence option is enabled. I restarted the computer and that didn't help. The files work just fine in all the other programs I'm using them in. Project is a brand new one that I created for specifically for this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I'm on a tight schedule, for the moment I've come up with a workaround by saving the file yet again in its very own folder with nothing else there. However, this is very annoying and messes with my workflow, so I'd love to hear if anyone has come up with a permanent fix.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, why don't you just disable the sequence option if you only want to import single PSD fiels? I think you are completely misunderstanding this.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're misunderstanding each other, possibly.

It's a complex psd that I'd like to add a lot to. I need all the pieces, in the order that I have them from PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layer order in the PSD has nothing to do with the Sequence option. AE will always honor the organizational structure of the PSD. You are only making your life difficualt and are definitely misunderstanding this part.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for explaining. That did help. However, while I appreciate your advice, if I'm asking for help on the forum then clearly I'm looking to learn and there are definitely things that I misunderstand, but there's no need to be impolite about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RaizelDesign,

The Sequence option comes in handy when you have multiple files to import that are named in a sequence. For example, a TIFF/PNG/PSD image sequence that is exported from a 3D app. If you're importing a single PSD file, it's best to keep the Sequence option unchecked.

Does it import the same wrong file every time or randomly pick within the folder? Did you try clearing the media cache (go to Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache) as suggested by the expert?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was importing the same file every time. I restarted my computer - wouldn't that clear the cache? If not, when I get back to my work computer in the morning, G-d willing, I'll try that.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting the computer doesn't clear the cache. If clearing the cache manually doesn't help, do you mind sharing the files with me to test at my end?

Feel free to DM me the download link if you don't want to share them publically.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Nishu. I owe @Mylenium an apology and a thank you. His answer to not import as a sequence solved the issue and I don't think I expressed that well enough. Thank you both for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines