Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for some inspiration for ways to use green screen video

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've been dabling in after effects on and off for several years and am fairly experienced in video editing on Premiere and Final Cut. But I've just undertaken a pretty big project and looking for some ispiration. I'm pretty quick and learning new tricks I just need a little direction and ideas. 

I'm editing a music video that was all shot in front of a green screen. We have a friend with a hookup on a production studio and got the room for free but found out last minute that the whole set had been painted green for a project the day before. I had hoped to be able to shoot a couple scenes in front of a green screen to try out some effects I've been learning, but having to replace the background for an entire music video is a lot to think about. 

So I have a bunch of footage of a singer and a dancer, some together and some shots solo.

We decided to try for a kind of comic book look. It seemed harder to get a realistic look, placing the singer infront of different backgrounds. So I've been doing things like putting a stroke layer style around the subject, turing the dancer into a silhouette and turing them into a shape layer and animating a the repeater effect, turing the song into keyframes and attaching that to some shape layers I made to get a cool visualizer behind the subjects...

-Any tips on expressions or other ways that will help smooth out the movement of a shape pickwhiped to audio keyframes would be awesome. I'm using ease(value,0,0,0,0) to chill it out but the movements can still tent to feel really jumpy.

So there's some cool stuff, but there is a lot more song leftover I don't want to overuse the same effects. 

Any advice or links to tutorials would be awesome! 

The video has an African, somewhat tribal vibe to it, so I'm trying to not get too super futurinstic with the effects, but not against getting pretty psychedelic. 

I'm gonna render the first bit that I'm pretty happy with and share it here to give you all the vibe. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Expressions , How to , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

-Any tips on expressions or other ways that will help smooth out the movement of a shape pickwhiped to audio keyframes would be awesome. I'm using ease(value,0,0,0,0) to chill it out but the movements can still tent to feel really jumpy.

You can apply a .smooth() to properties, which is a simple box filter just like you can of course construct any kind of custom smoothing with .valueAtTime() constructs and mangling values before and after the current value through formulas. Realyl depends on what kind of "smooth" you are looking for. For audio, though, most people simply look for some sort of falloff to have the audio reaction be responsive, but then fade away. Basically what Dan's classic tutorial already covers in a way:

http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/audio-trigger.html

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines