Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Managing Pixel/ Aliasing Flicker

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a 3D rendered comp from C4D that has some very small details that I believe are flickering due to being split across a small number of pixels. I am not 100% that this is the issue, but it is definitely causing some problems when I go to add VFX and in general when they are being displayed. I don't really have an opportunity to render them out again, but I was wondering if there is any way of mitigating this pixel flickering issues in post? I have included a sample of the problem here, you can see the flickering happening on the smaller ships far off in the distance. Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I posted without including the link, here it is: https://youtu.be/VLrR8iyabPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to stack multiple duplicates of the layer and apply a bit of creative masking to bump up opacity of the distant ships, then fix the harsh edges with a subtle Simple Choker or dark Glow, but overall this is simply massive undersampling that can only be fixed by re-rendering the whole thing with settings for actual samples cranked up considerably. It's inherent in how 3D renderers work - the engine simply runs out allocating samples and then you get color varioations because there's nothing to interpolate for the antialiasing algorithms.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Darn! Thanks for the workaround, I will try a few things and get back to you to see if anything worked out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines