• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask Modes Unintentionally Changing With the Click of a Mouse!

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an issue I've been having for way too long now, and my long searches for an answer have been futile.

Let's say I draw a mask on a layer. If I need to move around the vertices of that mask for either tuning or keyframing, sometimes when I simply click the vertex, the mask mode will change. If I want that mask mode set to "Subtract," for instance, and I click the vertex, suddenly the mask mode switches to "Lighten" or "Intersect" or any other mask mode rather than staying put.

I've tried restarting AE, restarting my computer, uninstall/reinstall, cleaning caches - I've run the whole gamut and nothing has permanently solved this horrendously frustrating issue. If anyone else out there has come across this issue and solved it, I will be forever in your debt!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried reproducing it with the current AE version but I don't see any mask mode changes. Any chance you can capture a video of it or put an AEP project file up some where I can download to try to repro it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a GIF that I just captured that shows you what I've been dealing with.

Mask-Mode-Snafu-Example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see exactly what you're doing except that you're moving the mask while it's in Mask Transform mode PLUS you've got the Toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio correction enabled - chances are quite high that this should be left disabled as it's more of a legacy feature than something most users use today.

Back to your issue, I tried reproducing the issue and I can't reproduce it. If trashing your AE Prefs doesn't help then you need someone from Adobe Support to have a hands-on look at your issue.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a mask around a layer, and when I tried to adjust any part of the mask's path, the mask mode switched.

Unfortunately this issue is completely spontaneous and does not happen to only specific project files - If I restart my machine, the issue may not occur for an hour or a day or even ever again, or it may happen repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is related to the mouse/tablet driver. Could you try with another mouse or update the driver for your graphics tablet? I know that while creating a mask, you can change the modes using the S, N, F and A keys. But it has no sense that clicking on a vertex, the mode changes automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing AE's Prefs files? Uninstalling may still retain corrupted Pref Files. And, installing may also retain corrupted Pref Files. So, trash the Pref Files and update us on this issue.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work, unfortunately. No changes at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standby, currently dealing with a separate AE issue ("unable to allocate memory" alert that' not allowing me to save).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely something is happening with your After, I tried to replicate it but by my side everything is normal, it does not change itself. You could try uninstalling Ae with the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and then reinstalling it.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

If this does not work for you, contact Adobe Support as suggested by Roland.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is unexpected behaviour. Your best bet is to file a bug report.  Please take the time to report this as a bug. You will need to supply full system specs and steps to reproduce. Screen captures/recordings are always very useful too.

You can file the bug here: After Effects: Hot (1662 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Except it just decided to start happening for no reason. Anytime I make ANY adjustment to the mask, the mask will change by itself from subtract to intersect. This is maddening that I have to switch it back EVERY single time I touch this mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here! I tried everything! Is there a solution yet? New AE22 on a windows machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CarolLinn,

Sorry for your issue.

Could you create a new thread with the following details?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for your reply, It is a companies computer (not mine, I am working on a Mac usually), so I have no clue about the details on windows. What I can see is, that it is AE 22.3.0, no extra plugins, 128 Ram, AMD 3.4GHZ 16 Core Processor, Windows 10 Pro 21H2 on multiframrendering. I am using this machine remotely with anydesk, BUT the mask mode jumping startet onsite on the machine as well. So this should not be the reason. I am out of answers, as I only find the problem here but never was it solved for anyone.. 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines