• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

matte to all underlying layers

Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple question, is there a way to make a layer set matte to all layers underneath it, whether this be a blending mode or effect, it needs to stay inside the comp as well.

 For example, I have this fur texture I want to apply to all the parts of this cat character underneath the eyes, If I precompose and use a singular track matte, It will cover the eyes and won't take adjustment layers into account. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 4.02.36 PM.jpg

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hiya Charles Okland!
Yes, you can make a layer set matte to all layers underneath it in After Effects. Here's how:

• Place the layer you want to use as the matte on top of the layers you want to apply it to.
  • Set the layer's blending mode to "Stencil Alpha" or "Silhouette Alpha" (depending on your preference).
  • With the matte layer selected, hold down the "Alt" key (Windows) or "Option" key (Mac) and click on the "Toggle Switches/Modes" button in the bottom left of the Layers panel. This will reveal the Track Matte dropdown menu.
  • Select "Alpha Matte" or "Luma Matte" from the Track Matte dropdown menu, depending on the type of layer you're using as the matte.
  • Adjust the matte layer as necessary to achieve the desired effect.

This should make the matte layer affect all layers underneath it, taking adjustment layers into account.
Keep me posted,

-iDAC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines