Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory settings in AE and Premiere when dynamic link

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellooow

i'm wonderinghow should the memory settings in both AE and premiere set when working in dynamique link.
I'm working on a edition on premiere and cut it etc.. and then i'm using dynamique link to create motion design on those shots like text and icons.
Both AE and premiere have a big amount of memmory in the settings letting not much for other programs.I have 30 RAM so in premiere pro i set the preferences as 5 RAM for the rest of the programs. But when i open AE for dynamique link both AE and premiere are opened, is that mean AE willl have to work with the 5 RAM Premiere alows him to have? Should i let more memory in premiere pro settings to let AE works?

Sank uu

I'm working on windows if that helps..

Félix

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DynamicLink is a self-contained process with its own memory management and ultimately those settings are irrelevant to this specific scenario. They only affect the programs themselves when rendering from there or working in them directly. Anything involving DL will inevitably add on top of that, though most of the time you probably won't even max out those limits. They are soft limits and the programs only take what they need. For anything beyond that you could look up some longwinded explanation about dynamic memory management and operating system functions like hibernation, swap files etc.. which also figure in here. Suffice it to say that for the most parts these settings in the Adobe programs are pretty useless and the reality will always be different.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With today's demanding customers, motion graphics packed videos are inevitable. This calls for heavy usage of ae dynamic linked into pp for animated text, graphics, tracking and more. I once read that dl uses a minimum of 4mb of ram per dl import for its housekeeping. This lead to creation of essential graphics within pp. However essential graphics isnt as powerful as ae and its plug-ins combined. 

My recommedation was therefore to combine pp and ae into one application. 

Or add single layer editing style in ae as in pp. Add transitions panel in ae. Thats it. 

However, adobe would never like to kill 2 golden goosees and make them into one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the AE code base is inside Premiere Pro.  Of course, that's not the same as them being the same application.

I find rendering movie files are still the safest way to bring motion graphics into an edit, not just for stability, but so that an editor who's very skilled at assembling a story out of multiple shots doesn't wreak the graphics.  When things go south, it's almost as horrifying as when an AE artist hands-off elements to a coder and things don't get put together as expected/approved by the creative director.

What would we call a merged AE/PR?  After Pro?  Premiere Effects?  Prea?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I find rendering movie files are still the safest way to bring motion graphics into an edit"

While it will be stable, the whole purpose of iteratiing is defeated. Often AE does not overwrite on old rendered files as they are locked by pp. Secondly, the idea of merging helps because often we use effects only on a part of the footage. For that a frame acurate position of the footage has to be there in ae to composite it acurately. The rest of the footage remains in pp. A slight change in once causees several iteration to match exact frames. This is really a pain.

"What would we call a merged AE/PR?  After Pro?  Premiere Effects?  Prea? "  

I'm sure thre wont be dearth of highly creative people in our community who can coin some super smart name for the new baby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information is a little dated, but you might find it helpful:

FAQ: What are optimum memory settings for best performance in After Effects?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-what-are-optimum-memory-settings-for-best-performan...

A tricky thing about these settings is that they largely depend on how you're using the applications in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my lightroom is not working properly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines