• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory Usage After Effects 18.4

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing HUGE memory usage when rendering on the most recent update? My system has 128 gig of ram and during a preview, it basically seems to eat it all up in about a minute.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Performance , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jordanc,

Thanks for reaching out.

Does it happen in all the projects? Could you test it on a new project and see if it still does that?

If it does, try resetting the preference of After Effects. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after-effects/td-...

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, i didn't happen to any projects before the most recent update. Now, both I and a college have had what we described as a "memory leak".

It happens when rendering and previewing, like its constantly just dumping stuff into memory and then crashing when its close to full

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ill try your idea on monday

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue. I have a 2019 Mac Pro with 192 GB of RAM, and After Effects stopped respecting my memory allocation. No matter how much I set it to, it goes beyond that, up until it uses up all my memory and then the app freezes, and I need to reboot my Mac. The only temporary workaround I can think of, is to constantly clear the memory when it starts hitting the total RAM in my Mac. Resetting the preferences, unfortunately, is not helping. It seems like this is something that was introduced in the latest update - 18.4, but it may have happened in the one right before, but I'm DEFINITELY noticing now. It's become almost unuseable with the kinds of projects I'm currently working with (5k plates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jordanc75789874 wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing HUGE memory usage when rendering on the most recent update? My system has 128 gig of ram and during a preview, it basically seems to eat it all up in about a minute.

Is After Effects ignoring how much memory you allocate to it, like it is with me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines