• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge Several Shapes into Single New Shape

Participant ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to merge several shapes into a single new shape?

Say, for example, a group of people symbols in a comp would merge together into a house or church icon?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pre-compose the layers.

Another option for multiple shapes in a shape layer- select items Rectangle 1, Rectangle 2, etc., and then add a new group using the Add menu. Everything under a group can be manipulated as a single element.

If there are multiple shape layers and you want to move everything to a single shape layer you can select all of the elements in one shape layer and copy or cut them and paste them into another shape layer. The order of the elements can be adjusted by selecting items and dragging them around.

If none of those suggestions make any sense let us know. I may not be understanding exactly what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That will not create a new shape that will create a no precomp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all of your individual Shapes and hit Ctrl/Command-G if you want to simply group them.

However, if you want to actually Merge shapes together you can use the Merge Paths operator to unite, subtract or intersect shapes. This will create a compound Shape from multiple shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm new to After Effects. Completely comfortable in Premiere and Illustrator, just so you understand my technical comfort level. I have drawn two concentric circles in a new composition in AE, and I want to simply group them together. Command-G (I'm on a mac) doesn't work for me. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am copying/pasting the paths from AE to AI, then using Ctrl/Command + J in AI to merge the shapes, in my case two lines. Then copy and paste the joined/merged path back onto the same path property of the shape in AE. It won't paste in place and I have to align it manually to match position, but it matches up size wise. It's crude but works. There should be an easier way to do this, ie. a Join command that goes beyond the Merge in shapes and connects the paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The group command is a command that only works when you have multiple shapes on the same shape layer. You have to select the shapes on that shape layer and then use the command.

If you have multiple shape layers as I suspect ou do ten the command doesn't work.

You can copy shapes from one shape layer to another.

1. Select the shape on the layer you want to copy. LayerName>Contents

2. Copy (cmd–C/ctrl–C) or cut (Cmd–X/Ctrl–x)

3. Select the target shape layer and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines