• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Middle mouse wheel panning

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When viewing a comp at 100% or larger, I'm pretty sure I was previously able to use my middle mouse wheel to pan around and inspect details. Rolling the wheel zoomed you in and out, while holding the button down enabled you to pan around when zoomed in. I've lost that functionality, and now I can't navigate around my comp when zoomed in. Is there another way to do this? I'm used to adjusting things at the pixel-level, but now I can only zoom in towards the dead center. Has anyone else experienced this? I've restarted a bunch of times... Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

The hand/ pan tool is by default tied to the space bar. That's a basic AE functionality since forever. You better read the online help on such essentials.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hand/ pan tool is by default tied to the space bar. That's a basic AE functionality since forever. You better read the online help on such essentials.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I must have had a stroke or something. I've been using this program for 10+ years, and I have no muscle memory of holding the space bar to pan. I could've sworn it was holding the middle mouse button, but your advice is accomplishing what I need... So thank you, sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW is there any need to be so dismissive? What a [abuse removed by moderator]. If you don't want to be nice and helpful, just don't say anyting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is this incredibly rude, it's incorrect

"To momentarily activate the Hand tool, hold down the spacebar, the H key, or the middle mouse button. (The middle mouse button does not activate the Hand tool under a few circumstances, including when the Unified Camera tool is active.)"

Try to remember why you are here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found the answer to be rather rude. I have been using the middle mouse button for panning "since forever". I came across the post because it had stopped working for me. I don't know what the problem was (I didn't have the camera tool active). Anyway, after a restart it works again now. Middle mouse button to temporarily activate the hand tool is a standard feature of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Gwynble1dd , yes, it's a standard and excellent feature of After Effects, and it should be implemented in all apps of that kind, especially Adobe's. As far as I know, only After Effects and Illustrator have it, but Photoshop and Premiere don't for some reason, which is strange considering these apps are made by the same company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a basic AE functionality since forever.

By @Mylenium

@MyleniumIt's been 30 years since that 'forever.' After Effects was created in 1993. Peripherals and user interfaces have advanced significantly since then. The middle click was introduced in 1996 by Microsoft (IntelliMouse) and has been adopted by all mouse manufacturers to enhance user experience. While many software developers take advantage of it, Adobe's developers seem reluctant to do so. As of today this issue has been resolved for After Effects, but it still persists in other Adobe apps like Photoshop and Premiere Pro. The middle click does nothing in those applications.

Middle Click Panning

Photoshop

–

Illustrator

OK

Adobe After Effects

OK

Premiere Pro

–

You better read the online help on such essentials.

By @Mylenium

You'd better inform Adobe that it's nearly 2024, and they should also consider enhancing the user experience of their apps for their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines