Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration from Imac to Mac Studio

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning
I have been using the Adobe suite on an IMac with an Ati graphics card.
Last month I switched to using a Mac Studio (so with M1 chip) but I am noticing inconsistent performance with Premiere Pro, Media Ecnoder and After Effects software
With After Effects for example, if I go to the hardware specifications of the computer it shows me that I am using an ATI graphics card whereas the Mac Studio does not have a graphics card of that type, of course.
Is this normal software behaviour or do I have to carry out some updating procedures?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current versions are just bad, bad, bad. no way around it. Apparently the devs struggle with All that new-fangled Apple M1 stuff and it doesn't help that OS X appears in a constant state of flux as well these days. If you feel like it, try to install a previous version of AE with Rosetta 2 emulation enabled. That way you can at least get soem work done without being a hostage to the M1-specific plethora of bugs and issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got so much problems with Photoshop and Premiere too

Performance aren't faster than an Imac with a PC that cost double...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Retina5E81,

This is strange!

Could you share a screenshot of the About This Mac and a screenshot of the screen where After Effects shows the ATI GPU is being used?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

We had update AE and now the software recognize correctly the GPU of M1

We will do some tests to see if the performance are better or still slowest than an Imac.

Do you know if it would be better use a specific codec for projects to go fast with M1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the M1 chip came out, I bought the bare minimum Mac Mini to start running some tests. It took a few tests, and I was running in Rosetta, but the Mac Mini was faster than my iMac Pro on many types of projects. Hangups and slowdowns came from certain file types and quite a few 3rd party plugins. 

I have moved on to an M1 Macbook Pro, and almost all of my 3rd party plugins have been updated to Universal (M1 Compliant). Nearly all of my VFX work and compositing is faster than any other system I have used. It just took some housekeeping and a little care with source footage codecs. I do a fair amount of transcoding when dealing with H.264 or H.265 footage. I often have to roll back one or two versions using the Creative Cloud app when builds cause problems. Right now, everything is running fine. I'm using Mocha Pro to Motion Stabilize some 8K clips, and it's slow, but the processing and rendering time isn't as slow as I expected. The same shot as a 4K proxy takes about  6-seconds a frame to process, so I expected about 48 seconds a frame with the 8K clip because 8K is eight times more pixels than 4K. It turns out that the 8K shot is rendering at about 34 seconds a frame. I think that's pretty good. 

Try rolling back a few versions, then roll forward. Make sure all 3rd party apps, plugins, scripts, and extensions are updated, or remove them and try a few different workflows. I suggest you get a 1 or 2 TB external Thunderbolt SSD and use that as your Cache folder for all Adobe apps. I have this one with this drive inside. It has a read/write speed significantly faster than any other external drive I have tried. I initially bought it with the basic Mac Mini I purchased to test Adobe apps because it only had 256 GB of internal storage. I installed the entire Creative Cloud suite on the external drive and banged on everything for about six months before I updated my MacBook Pro.

I hope some of these suggestions help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much

I will make some test, hope Adobe will stabilize and solve the problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines