• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mocha in 2019 saves "nowhere"?

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just downloaded and tested the new mocha in 2019, it's faster for sure! I did a direct test and it was almost twice as fast at the same exact track so that is really cool, however!

Something that is very odd to me is that it no longer saves an actual file anywhere outside of the plugin effect that is sitting on a layer! Yes you can export a "save" of the mocha file. But after doing that, saving doesn't save to that file it saves literally to the plugin effect on the layer so if that effect get's deleted from your layer you just LOSE it ALL! I'm not sure about everyone else but effects on layers come and go like spare change while working, this seems like not a very secure way for it to function? I just have to constantly keep exporting a "backup" version of it in case something happens to the effect on the layer and I've already lost work realizing that it doesn't in fact save anywhere. It would be really nice if it could work the original way OR the plugin way if you wanted it to.

Not sure how everyone else feels about this but to me it's a huge risk of losing work for it to behave this way.  Roto jobs can have weeks of work in a single mocha project. Or maybe i'm not understanding how this is supposed to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

I had the exact same issue.  Fortunately, I lucked out. (This applies to Windows users). 

I suggest this:

1. Open your last saved AE project. 
  2. If the layer is not there that you were editing in Mocha, create a new version of whatever footage you were tracking before. 
  3. Add the Mocha effect on that layer.
  4. In Mocha, select File (in the top left of the toolbar), and Open Project
  5.  Navigate to  this folder: C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Imagineer Systems Ltd\Autosave\autosave_history

6. What you will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Thanks so much for pointing this out it led me to the right solution even though the path now is slightly different.

Autosave files currently reside in:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\BorisFX\Autosave\autosave_history

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mocha project session information is saved to your AE project just like any other plug-in. In this manner, you can actually save multiple Mocha sessions within one AE project and they are all associated with your project.

Alternately if you'd like to back up the Mocha project itself to file, inside of Mocha AE go to file>Export Project. Here you can save a .mocha project that can be restored, opened on another AE system or even opened into Mocha Pro.

If you are working inside Mocha AE for a very long time, you change the auto-save settings inside file>preferences.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not correct. I saved while in the Mocha interface. Upon exiting and trying to access the data, AE crashed. When I opened up the autosave file which was only 2 minutes old, all the Mocha data I had created since the start of the session (hours of work) was gone. I hope there's another temp file of some sort, somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hit this same scenario.  Were you able to find your data?  I was applying a Mocha mask and it crashed AE.  The data it loaded back up with is old.... very old.  I've been hitting CMD+S frequently too....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue.  Fortunately, I lucked out. (This applies to Windows users). 

I suggest this:

1. Open your last saved AE project. 
  2. If the layer is not there that you were editing in Mocha, create a new version of whatever footage you were tracking before. 
  3. Add the Mocha effect on that layer.
  4. In Mocha, select File (in the top left of the toolbar), and Open Project
  5.  Navigate to  this folder: C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Imagineer Systems Ltd\Autosave\autosave_history

6. What you will see in this file, is... right - nothing  -  until...

you change the bottom right file explorer search option to "All Files". (screenshot below). 

Now, you shall find your work.

I'm sure there is a reason it is this way, but it would probably require a labotomy to understand it.

This is almost 2 years after you posted, but maybe it will spare someone some time and headache.

Screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried your method. It didn't work. It stopped Autosaving on 11/01/21. Today is 11/04.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You took me on an emotional journey sir. lol!  annnnnnd nothing! lol  but you were correct. My file and day work of tracking a stuipd cell phone call was saved!!! lol thank you.  so happy! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW Dude you just save my #ss!!!
Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for pointing this out it led me to the right solution even though the path now is slightly different.

Autosave files currently reside in:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\BorisFX\Autosave\autosave_history

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same problem three times this week. Lost all my work. Autosaves were gone as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just completed 2 hours of work in Mocha. Exported the project. Hit save every 15 minutes. Completed work and was moving back to AE when it crashed. My exported Mocha file is gone. It didn't save in the Local or roaming folders, in fact, the layer didn't even have Mocha on it anymore.  Everything-- All work gone. Thanks for combining two functional programs into one that crash together and delete all your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines