• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Motion tracking in modern After Effects - as good as AR social media filters?

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still really hard to do in After Effects what can be done in a TikTok/snapshot filter in real time with zero thinking or effort whatsoever?

I was fiddling around with a small motion-tracking-related project just now, putting an image on a TV in a moving shot. Placing track points or 3D-solving, ripping my hair out that my mask (to remove the TV screen) isn't moving with the rest of the shot, stressing about what to do if the corners of my track points go off camera, etc.

And it occurred to me that an AR Snapchat filter could do this instantaneously, so I was like, what the heck am I even doing right now? Is this as much a waste of my time as I feel like it is?

I'm here to ask the community - is there a much easier, faster way to put a new on a TV in a moving shot in After Effects that I just haven't learned yet? Has Adobe evolved like the rest of media technology has?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

How are you tracking? Mocha AE is an excellent tool for corner pin tracking and replacing a TV screen. TickTock/Snap Shot filter is nothing like real motion tracking with pixel-perfect accuracy. 

Without seeing the shot you are working with, there is no way for me to suggest the workflow that I would use for your shot, but for most screen replacement shots, I suggest you take a look at Mocha AE. Here's a link to a very good set of tutorials on this powerful tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you tracking? Mocha AE is an excellent tool for corner pin tracking and replacing a TV screen. TickTock/Snap Shot filter is nothing like real motion tracking with pixel-perfect accuracy. 

Without seeing the shot you are working with, there is no way for me to suggest the workflow that I would use for your shot, but for most screen replacement shots, I suggest you take a look at Mocha AE. Here's a link to a very good set of tutorials on this powerful tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I used Mocha a long time ago, but if it's still the main trusted thing, I'll happily go back to it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Rick. The illusion of such realtime filters quickly falls apart once you inspect the result in detail. Lots of precision issues you wouldn't accept in professional work. That said of course they have a few advantages like being able to use your phones orientation sensors in addition to just analyzing the pixels from the camera, something which by its nature is not possible in AE.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to piggy back on Mylenium's comment about phone orientation - check out CamTrack AR.  You shoot your video in that app, then can export the tracking data for AE (it's got a hefty price tag, but last time I looked it included a per month option).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is still super interesting!! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I think my ideal would be to have something that started off like the realtime apps, but because it was a professional tool, I'd be able to get in its guts and tweak it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines