Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

mov file to mp4 with transparancy

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a mov and I want to keep the transparency if I convert it to an mp4 will it still have its transparent background. and if no how would I go about fixing that or would I have to use an entirely different method?

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021
There is no such thing as an MP4 with transparency. All MP4 video has only 8 bit RGB. You need at least 8big RGBA. The Lossless with Alpha preset in the Render Queue's Output Module will give you a visually lossless RGBA file you can use in production. There are better formats, ones that support more than. 8 bits per channel (256 colors), and ones that create higher quality video than the default Lossless With Alpha preset.  You'll have to do some studying or you'll have to tell us how you i...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as an MP4 with transparency. All MP4 video has only 8 bit RGB. You need at least 8big RGBA.

The Lossless with Alpha preset in the Render Queue's Output Module will give you a visually lossless RGBA file you can use in production. There are better formats, ones that support more than. 8 bits per channel (256 colors), and ones that create higher quality video than the default Lossless With Alpha preset. 

You'll have to do some studying or you'll have to tell us how you intend to use the video you want to render to end up with the best solution. 

My most used lossless with Alpha format is GoPro Cineform 10 bit Straight Alpha. I have clients that request everything from EXR sequences to DNxHR (Avid). The right format and compression depend entirely on the client and the usage.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info I am kinda new in studying formats I rendered out a scene thinking it would have a transparent background and shipped it to my client and they had issues and little did I know transparency correlated with formats. However, I think now that I have gotten into animation more I would have to study up more on what to use because I have no clue what formats support alpha channels and even if the client can use them too. however thanks for the info I appreciate it

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Clients should have specifications. Always ask for them. Format specifications include color management, frame rate, audio specifications, frame size, and format. Some want 48 kHz 16-bit audio. There are so many options that if you don't ask you only have a very small chance to get it right the first time. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines