• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move text layer in timeline without changing its duration?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.
I'm new to AE. Trying to move text that appears for 2 seconds so that it appears later in the sequence. I'm trying to do this by grabbing and dragging the bar for this text layer in the timeline but when I drag the bar, my cursor extends the duration instead of moving the bar itself. 
I'm able to get my desired outcome by splitting the bar in 2, moving one of the resulting bars and deleting the other one. But I suspect there's a better way to do this. 
Thanks for advice on this!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to move any layer in your timeline, just click in the middle of it and drag to the left or right.

JqkeFX_0-1645553024299.png

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jake! Hmm...Maybe this is like when I don't see the ketchup staring right at me from the fridge but I'm still not able to drag the type layer without changing its duration. Here's a clip of my attempt:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you confused that the second one you drag is active before the composition starts? Go to the start of the composition and do Alt + [ to trim the layer to the beginning. (Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's hard to explain in words)

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the fact that the layer starts before the composition is indeed the problem.
I'm working on this project from a remote computer (accessing AE and the project itself through a remote lab) and I realized the remote set-up doesn't fully jive with the keyboard I'm using so I'm not able to fully resolve this with short cut keys but I suspect what you're suggesting is the problem. I can work around it with menu options so I'm good. And hopefully I'll get a computer I can work on directly soon.
Thanks for your help!
- Leni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright then, glad it helped! You can also do Ctrl + Shift D (trim) and delete the bottom layer if that's easier.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines