New AE Apple Silicon Version extremely slow

Explorer ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Macbook Pro (16-inch)

Apple M1 Max

32GB

Recently updated to the new apple silicon version of AE, and it is extremely slow. I am getting a spinning wheel almost every click. I have no programs running and I dont know why this is occuring. I have to go back on my older slower mac just to work. Would love any tips or work arounds.

Thanks!

-Kyle 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the same problem with AE 22.03.0 (Build 107). If you open the Info or Inspector panel in Finder, Select the After Effects 2022 app, then check Open using Rosetta AE will run almost as fast as the latest Beta version, and all of any 3rd party effects and scripts you have installed will be available to you. 

The other option is to go to the Creative Cloud app All Apps tab, click on the three dots to the right of the Open button and choose the Other Versions options, and roll back AE to the previous build. It was running pretty well on my two M1 Macs.

You could also try the latest AE Beta build if you have access. I found one small problem with an animation preset I was using yesterday with the version, but everything seems to be working pretty well with that app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick! I'll try that out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How confident are you that all third party effects, add-ons, and/or extensions are Apple native?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ky_Bridges,

Thanks for writing in.

There are a few bugs in the After Effects M1 version but nothing that could affect the performance drastically as you've mentioned. However, as mentioned by Warren Heaton, all the plug-ins are not supported on the M1 yet which could cause some issues. As suggested by Rick, you can try running After Effects using Rosetta. If it doesn't help, please let us know. We'll report it to the After Effects engineers so that it can be investigated.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey nishu.  there have been a number of reasons in terms of AE slowing down down to a crawl sometimes.  it struggles on updating the video frame itself..which sounds like an encode/decode issue using prores footage. i've used both enable and disabled the hardware accelerated decoding option in the import section of preferences and nothing.  it also lags when typing/editing text be it truetype or opentext..it just struggles to update after some time. 

and it continues to load the rest of the frames in a comp whenever i am not moving the timeline, even though i have turned enable multi-frame rendering off. it seems that this is what makes the overall app rather slow and delayed in response. be it making text, masking video, to selecting different panels. everything is just on this delay and is not responding accurately to each mouse click. 

i'm going to have to either resort back to 22.2 or better yet just move back to 18.4.6 which worked perfect on the m1 max.

guys PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make something stable. and leave it alone for a year or two and give yourselves time on writing a fresh new AE/PP built for today's computer systems, right now its the macs dealing with it but you guys know the PCs will convert to ARM-based infastructure too. continuing these patch-fixes while adding more random things to a program which it's base code was made during the 32-bit days is something dumb and very "Avid-like". y'all are a talented bunch and can do it..please don't end up like those guys. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines