• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New CC update (10/6/14) change the Blue color????

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the hardwork involved in updating the apps, but the light blue on grey isn't cuttin' it for my eyes.  Is there a way to change it?  I can't seem to find a setting in Prefs > Appearances.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 109 Replies 109
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Immediately wanted to change it as well. I guess we will have to get used to it.

" No, there's no way to control color of the focus highlighting and the text for certain controls. As you note, this is part of major changes to the user interface across many programs." - Mark Mapes Oct 6, 2014 6:42 PM

Re: Premiere Pro CC: can blue text interface be changed back to yellow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not read into a message from the Premiere Pro quality enginering team anything about what we can refine for After Effects.

Keep the feedback coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to change this color? Is there an .ini setting I can change?

The new UI color scheme is very uncomfortable. In particular the blue and dark stands out way to much.

It resulted in a headache, and gives me very bad eyestrain when I use AE.

I've always used "lighter" low contrast UI color schemes because it's easier on my eyes. To much contrast causes immediate pain and discomfort.

Due to not having any other option to avoid physical pain, I'm having to install 3rd party UI software to force a more neutral color setting for AE to avoid causing bad eyestrain/headache while working.

Please provide a mechanism to adjust this in user settings.

User's should not have to accept physical discomfort in order to use an application.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using to tame the UI colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ewazar wrote "I'm having to install 3rd party UI software to force a more neutral color setting for AE to avoid causing bad eyestrain/headache while working."

It would be great if you can post to the community what you are using, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kinda like the blue in overall UI, but the selected keyframes color is terrible to visualize, there's no contrast in it. We can't differenciate the selected keyframes from the others, a lighter blue or even a user selectable color it's far more interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reading the updated features, any of the CC applications no longer allow the brighter settings "The range of the Brightness slider in the Appearance preference category is more limited than in previous versions; there is no longer a “light” mode for the interface. The default brightness setting is darker than in previous versions."

WIth more contrast this is very hard on the eyes, especially when staring at a project for 10-12 hours.  Please bring back the ability to have the interface brighter.  Been using After Effects since 2.0 and it has always had the brighter settings.  Or at least allow the text and icons to dim as well.  Cinema 4D has a nice contrast ratio to look at if you are going for a darker appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, I was merely reporting that there is no way within 2014.1 to changing the UI color scheme. I did not mean to imply that the new UI is cast in stone. Your feedback will help inform decisions about what changes to make in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark - Thanks for taking the notes.  I like the blue, just the contrast is a bit hard to deal with, especially when you go into a menu and it is black type on white.  The back and forth can wreak havoc on the eyes.  Our monitors are 1920 x 1080 and when the type gets scaled down wit this high-contrast, it is difficult to move quickly around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to echo the other users re: the contrast issue with the new blue accent color.  I'm having tons of trouble differentiating between selected and unselected keyframes, as well as enabled or disabled toggles in the various panels.  It's crucial-- for accessibility reasons if nothing else-- to either revert to the previous gold scheme (sounds like a no on that, since they're unifying everything in the suite?) or allow a user preference to override the blue, a la label colors.

Aside from that, I actually really like this refreshed UI!  It'll take a little getting used to-- and indeed as folks have mentioned here, the increased overall UI contrast can get a little exhausting-- but I can work with all that provided that I can dial in my own accent color.  Until that change is made, unfortunately I'll be significantly slowed down.

Thanks as always to the dev team, Todd Kopriva and the user community for helping AE evolve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue myself is the high contrast of the blue and grey. Its looks great in certain areas but terrible in others. Autodesk did this awhile back with 3dsmax (dark grey interface with blue buttons) it was great till the new interface feeling wore off then I switched back to the various colored buttons. that's the exact feeling I have right now.. with no way to change the preference I'm forced to revert back to an old version just to be productive and reduce eye strain. my guess is that the designer did a few items in the blue and someone said that looks awesome make it all blue.. I had this happen to me many times as a designer and its the worst thing to say ok.

hope they make an option to have the older interface colors back. I like the flat look though that can stay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to second the request to restore the "light" interface option.

No doubt it was retired for reasons having to do with complexities of integrating the new 'highlight' text color, but some of us go way back to when AE was originally light. I've tried darker over the years but always return to light as it seems easier on the eyes and feels more relaxing as a work environment.

I may be a minority here, but we do spend long days in a room with the interface, and this is like the color of the paint in your office.  My room just went from bright to gloomy.

I'm sure I can "get used to it" but I hope Adobe will consider restoring the old brighter interface, at least to AE, if there is enough request.

Thanks for considering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE ADOBE CHANGE BACK THE PREFERENCE/APPEARANCE SETTING TO ALLOW FOR WHITE OR BRIGHT!  It's so dark now!  Why did you take out the brightness option for our windows?  I understand that some people like their UI windows dark - but OTHERS like(NEED) it white.  PLEASE UPDATE THIS AND PUT YOUR SETTINGS BACK TO ALLOW FOR WHITE (or at least very bright) on your slider!!  PLEASE!  I'm on AE hours and hours a day - the dark is not cutting it at all!  Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I do agree with your request which I would call a demand. I'm not a video or movie maker professional but I use the CC suite for my pleasure because I like to remember the places I was so lucky to visit on a video, before on film, with some artistic quality. So I spend a lot of time editing, trying to put logic in the order or the sequences, adding an atmosphere enhancing the views. Not leaving the damn sea sickening to and fros, up and down ways a majority of amateurs show on youtube. The use of Go Pros cameras today multiplying tenfold this horrible sensation. We amateurs are lucky now to be able to use some of the tools you have for a rather affordable price. We don't have the physical constraints which is mandatory in your profession. No one can imagine Robert Redford's editor to have a cataract problem! You've got 10/10 eyesight or nearer. Moreover what is good sight for X is not for Y, this is a physical state no one can change. Thank God  we're not clones of each other. What is good color configuration for X can be a nightmare to look at for hours for Y. It is to X or Y to decide and no one else what the color of the background, the color of the menus and options characters and their contrast and brightness should be and no one else is entitled to decide and impose us such setting up. Oh I hear some and read them here advancing scientific notions about where such and such color is focusing in front or after the retina and so on and so forth. Sorry but this is not relevant. If  M. X thinks it is so  will let him use the set up to do so which corresponds to the norm or scientific norm.Y will use on the contrary his own and sorry he is free to decide what his health will be in the future. This is pure common sense and freewill. Please let's stop trying to make this life of ours transform into a  formatted world with big brother deciding for everything of our every day life and pleasures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTF was that all about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? It affects all the different software PPr; AE, Audition etc. I renounced to use Speedgrade because of that . I don't want to spend hours trying to guess what is written on the screen. Not everyone has the same vision, or the same age which also affects vision. Whatever the number of people concerned , it has to be taken into account. Of course there are also other problems which could be discussed at length in different parts of the software which are more or less user friendly, aspect which more and more seems to be considered minors from some developers and their management more inclined to focuse on the marketing side of things and the money which derives from it. I do think even if I were the only one that confort for work is also an essential matter whether being an amateur or a professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply didn't understand your point.  You seemed a tad confused.

BTW, I'm a professional editor, although I haven't edited a Robert Redford film.  I've had a detached retina, cataracts and need either contact lenses and/or reading glasses. 

As a result, I am unable to use the CC-2014 UI as it's very difficult to read.  In fact, I'm back to using earlier iteration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's exactly what I advocate for, that the developers think that there are people like yourself that need to have a system which configuration can be adapted to their particular physical problems and not only to aspects which are more hardware related. It is really a pity, even if you would had not the use of it in your work, that you should be obliged to use earlier versions because of such an important and major problem easy to solve.

I'm French, perhaps my use of English is akward or not adapted by the way I write of course influenced by my mother language although without boldness I think I do not use it too badly compared to many of my compatriots!lol! I don't have "an adjoint " to help me in writing as I heard once the General manager of the Paris Opera presenting his second in command with an accent to defy understanding! LOL!

Claude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flat UI is nice, but the high contrast is killing my eyes.  I think I have to uninstall and revert back to the previous version.  I just can't work efficiently.  The UI is getting in the way of getting stuff done.  Really wanted the new features of PPRO too, but it's a mess too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I am fine so far what I called the 'Tronfication' of the UI.  Against the dark background the Cyan and Blue stands out nicely... no real issues with the distinguishability of selected keys either.  What is taking me some getting used to are the monochromatic asset icons, but again not a deal breaker for me.  I think for the most part for those of us seeing for the first time is that something we've been familiar with for so long is suddenly unfamiliar, and the overall comfort level has decreased as a result.  However, I think that's just temporary... we'll get used to it.

Having said all of that though, I would point out that blue is the among the harder colors for our eyes to process due to its high frequency, so there definitely is some validity to the concern over eye fatigue when using it over the course of a long day.  I think that, rather than simply fiddle with the colors until you feel it has been dialed in, you should simply add a color picker to the preferences and let folks use the color that works best for them (I was never a big fan of the old school-bus yellow FWIW)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really not loving the blue accents in this version. They pull my eye away from my content and towards things that don't matter. I don't really understand why it was necessary? To me, the program should blend in and the project itself should be the focus. Right now it seems like someone got a bit carried away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that is a valid criticism, as it is based really only on the fact that the blue is new and you're not used to it, therefore it distracts you.  Had it always been blue, and they changed it here to yellow/orange, then you would likely find that equally as distracting.  I do agree with you that it doesn't really serve as a functional change, nor does it really qualify as an improvement.  However, a month from now after daily use, while you may not find the color appealing, it certainly will have ceased being a distraction long ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be, however the contrast of dark grey and bright blue has been pulling my eye away from my composition window and down towards this little divider line surrounding my timeline all day. If that was a conscious choice on their end, kudos, but i honestly don't think any pop color would have been appropriate for this. The tonal separations they used in previous versions blended in perfectly, breaking up all the different windows without looking so dated. Would love a way to at least desaturate the blue along side the brightness slider but thats just like, my opinion, man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you simply switch from the white attribute text (position) to the blue number read out (960.0),  the text color change to me seems very abrupt.  Blue blends in more with the dark grey, compared to white standing out..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines