Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie Question about masks

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sorry Friends,

I think this is a pretty basic question and I am researching it and probably have a few ways to solve it that get kinda messy but I think there must be a clean easy way.

I have a couple of masks of different types on Layer A. Layer B is below layer A and is properly being masked as desired. Layers CDEFGH I do not want masked at all and they cross the masks path. Keyframing things like opacity and position dont seem like they would work in this scenario. Is there a clean way to only apply masks to one layer regardless of what layers fall below them?

I was wondering is precomping might do it but I am new to after effects and dont really know much. Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

A mask creates transparency on one layer. That means any pixels below that mask will show up. If you want that mask to poke holes in more than one layer, you might be better off using a track matte. There is also an effect called Set Matte that you can apply to any layer and use the alpha channel on any other layer to poke holes in another layer. 

The most efficient workflow depends on the project. We need some embedded, not attached screenshots (just drag them to the reply field) with the mod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mask creates transparency on one layer. That means any pixels below that mask will show up. If you want that mask to poke holes in more than one layer, you might be better off using a track matte. There is also an effect called Set Matte that you can apply to any layer and use the alpha channel on any other layer to poke holes in another layer. 

The most efficient workflow depends on the project. We need some embedded, not attached screenshots (just drag them to the reply field) with the modified properties of the problem layers revealed - press 'uu' and workflow and design details. Then we can probably give you an efficient workflow suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Rick. I will do research on Track Matte and Set Matte and Alpha Channels to educate myself. I'm only about 6 months into premiere and after effects so I still don't really know what these things you mentioned are but I am very dedicated and I will find out. Thanks so much!

Btw you may not know it but you have already taught me a lot. I have seen your responses to many people's questions over the months and they have been very helpful! Ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im still working on understanding it but I was able to solve it using an Inverted Track Matte 😉 Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines