• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object not moving/animating along the path

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to after affects and followed the tutorial animating object along a path but the object doesnt animate and the path looks reduced.

However I did follow the tutorial so I am confused, I uploaded a JPEG for the background and I want to animate objects on it .. I dont know if the issue is the JPEG..I just want to use one still JPEG for the background and then animate objects on it.

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot to upload a screen capture of your composition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some screenshots, when i try to play/preview ..nothing happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i click on the object layer ..the path is reduced too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a mask not a path, it is not the same. You can reuse your mask path as a path for the object's position. Select the mask you want to use as a path and use the copy command (CTRL+C or COMMAND+C if you use Mac). Then press P on your keyboard to reveal the position property of your layer. Select the position and use the Paste command CTRL+V or COMMAND V if you are on MAC. The your object will move using the mask path as its own moving path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply..i think i had done this already , i followed this tutorial in fact https://helpx.adobe.com/es/after-effects/how-to/animate-along-path.html?playlist=/es/es/ccx/v1/colle... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What tutorial are you following? Most of the ones you find on YouTube are not much more than recipes that an enthusiast has copied and many of them have poorly explained and often pretty inefficient workflows. 

If you are brand new I suggest that you open up the Learn Workspace or the Learn Resources on the Home screen. You should also spend some time with the User Guide. It is available on the landing page of this forum and the AE Product page. You'll be a lot better off a lot sooner if you start with some good training materials and then move on to creating something original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its from adobe this one as below  https://helpx.adobe.com/es/after-effects/how-to/animate-along-path.html?playlist=/es/es/ccx/v1/colle... 

Yes i tried to go through the guide but couldnt find anything relevant to this ..i will check the learn workspace too ..so far ive been checking only the tutorials and user guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this Adobe tutorial that can help you.

Animate an object to follow along a path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing missing from that tutorial is adding the layers to the composition. Your screenshots do not show the position property of any layers. Select all layers, press "uu" to reveal all modified properties.

If you do not see position keyframes you have failed to copy, then paste the path data. My workflow is just slightly different than the workflow in the tutorial. After I have drawn the path on a layer that has not been moved, rotated, or scaled I set one keyframe by pressing Alt/Option + m. Then I immediately Cut that keyframe using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmnd + x. This assures me that I have copied the path data to the clipboard.

Then I select the layer that I want to animate and press Alt/Option + p to set a keyframe and immediately use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmnd + v to paste the vector path data to the position data. Setting and cutting or copying keyframes guarantees that you are going to copy the keyframe data. Just selecting Mask will not. You have to actually have the path selected. Using the keyboard shortcuts minimizes moving around the mouse and keeps me from accidentally grabbing the wrong property or just a portion of the path. 

Let us know if you have any other problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I have done what you said , i think but i dont see the path over the backrgound layer..i drew the path over the background layer..The path now is outside the frame and i cannot see it moving unless i manually move the cursor..which is a progress alreadly from what i have done..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like your composition is smaller than the layer you drew the path on.  I'm guessing you scaled down the layer to fit.  When you've then copied the path to the position property, it has retained the original sizes

There are a few options for correcting this, but I think the simplest would be to create a new solid, make it comp-sized, then reduce its opacity until you can see the road (expands its transform properties  on the timeline to see the opacity).  On this new solid, draw your mask path again and copy this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean by new solid? well i uploaded a jpeg for the background layer..and drew a path on it but yes i had to zoom in the jpeg /layer because the road was too small ..so i drew the path on a the zoomed area of the jpeg..so i shouldnt zoom in the jpeg..

Im totally new..so far it seems complicated..in indesign its so much easier but the car wouldnt be auto-orient along the path..this is why i want to use After effects..

I only used one jpeg for the background and one PNG for the car..so 2 layers themselves..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new solid is a like a precoloured layer.  You can create one by going to Layer ... New ... Solid

It appears in your timeline and you'll be able to treat it just like an image, Exocet it has no file location, it exists just in the project.

It might be worth running through some tutorials for getting started.  I have a series designed for complete beginners over on CreativeCow.  They haven't published them all, as they've had a few health issues, but the ones there just give you an idea about After Effects:

https://youtu.be/cScqufQTyC4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you i ll have a look..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines