Old B&W Film Look

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone recommend a good way to simulate the look of an old black & white film, with dust & scratches and a bit of the flickering? Have they already added an effect in the 2022 version that I just haven't seen?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratches are just stretched out Fractal Noise and such, trapped hairs can be emulated using masks with strokes, flickering is either regular shutter variation which can be mimicked with e.g. the Strobe effect or irregular luminance variations which would be just as easily simulated with any adjustment effect such as Brightness/ Contrast and a bit of wiggle(). There's enough tutorials out there and you realyl don't need a plug-in for any of this, unless you really want to spend money or have to process a ton of material.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Mylenium said, there should be a lot of easily-found search results with effects recipes or downloadable presets to get this look.

I'll also make the recommendation to see if you can find stock footage of actual old film. I've seen very few simulated film effects that didn't look obviously fake. A good clip of real film and the Multiply blending mode will get you a great-looking "film" look, and very quickly. This is just a quick search result, but even within this, you can see how many different elements come into play in getting this look (and maybe you can start spotting the fake ones yourself already).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines