Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One comp with several variations

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I have a comp that currently contains 32 images on 32 layer. At different stages of the main timeline I plan to pull in a different image. Before I duplicate the comp 32 times and just have one image in each comp, I wondered if there is anything smart I can do in AE to use one comp but override the visible layer.

I use Figma a lot and I can do this with Instances and Variants. Does anything similar exist for AE?

Thanks

Lee

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically no. You can employ tricks like pulling an image from another layer to e.g. a solid with an effect (buffer copy for rendering), but you can't do so across comps. Similarly, you could in theory set up a convoluted Essential Graphics thingy and replace the footage source in it, but as long as you stay inside AE it has no advantage over just working with native comps. So more or less duplicating stuff already is the most efficient way to go about it.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mylenium, I'll continue with multiple comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines