Only plays a fraction of the clip

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't really know how to explain this, but when I preview a clip it only plays a tiny fraction. Sometimes plays the whole thing the first time, but then it just reverts to playing about a tenth of a second. Not had the issue before, just suddenly started doing it. I've cleared the cache, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge on stuff like this. I've attached a vid.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you preview a clip, AE will try to play it all back, but what it's actually doing is building up the frames into your RAM.  Those greenhighlighted frames are stored in RAM.  What's slightly odd is that the rest of the timeline is blue, meaning AE has offloaded its RAM to your cache drive to playback.  

Try using the 0 key on the numberpad to play the sequence back without audio.  This should rebuild the frames in the RAM

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks for the tip, really appreciate it. Still have the same problem though I'm afraid.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running the Preview at a lower Composition Resolution (View > Full, Half, Third, Quarter, Custom).  

The Preview image quality will be lower, but the duration should be longer as less RAM is used per frame.

If you're curious how much RAM After Effects is using per frame, review the information next to the Resolution pop-up menu in the Composition Settings dialog box.

Viewing RAM requirements per frame while changing Comp Resolution in the After Effects Composition Settings dialog boxViewing RAM requirements per frame while changing Comp Resolution in the After Effects Composition Settings dialog box

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, it appears to have done the trick! I'm eternally grateful

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it's still doing it. I guess we're on the right track though...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try a lower Resolution with the Skip option in the Preview panel set to 1 or 2.  By default, it is set to zero when using the Spacebar and 1 when using Shift+Numberpad 0.

How much RAM does your computer have?

In the Memory & Performance preference, how much RAM is reserved for other applications?

Have you tried any fo the purge options under Edit > Purge?

What frame size and frame rate is your Source Footage?

What frame size and frame rate is your Composition?

Hopefully you can find some balance that allows you to Preview; however, it's posssible that you need more RAM.  If that's the case and more RAM cannot be installed, you can work without previews (not ideal) and render low resolution movie files to check your progress.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines