Exit

opacity problem with new shape layers

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photo.png

Hello All,

Every time I draw a new shape with the rectangle tool, the Opacity is 10% (view image circled in red). I want new shapes to have 100% opacity, but I don't know how to make 100% the default. 100% opacity used to be the default. I don't know how it changed to 10%. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it greatly.

Here are my specs.

Mac OS: 10.11.6

After Effects: 13.7.0.124

Thanks,

Ivan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

It could also have been fixed by going under the fill settings at the top of your window when you have the shape tool active and changing the fill opacity there.

fill.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This might not be a good option. You delete the preference of After Effects and restart After Effects. The location of the preference is /Users/{your account name}/Library/Preferences/com.Adobe.After Effects.13.7.plist. The preference setting goes back to the default. One caution is the change affects all the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Trashing preferences was going to be my last resort. I did find another solution that worked.

Step 1: open Preferences and click the "Reveal Preferences in Finder" button. This is a text file.

Step 2: Quit After Effects

Step 3: open the text file and find the section called "Shape Graphic Preferences (Fill) v1." Change the Opacity value to 1.000000. This solves the problem.

image pref.jpg

image text.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could also have been fixed by going under the fill settings at the top of your window when you have the shape tool active and changing the fill opacity there.

fill.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again!

I didn't know that.

Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroke and fill for shape layers always remembers the last settings that were applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - this was driving me crazy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very helpfull for me, I was constantly opening up shape layer fills to make the opacity 100%. Thanks a lot for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines