• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: How to fix the "Invalid menu operation" error in After Effects

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When do I get the "After Effects warning: Invalid menu operation" error?

• It often happens when you click on one of the dropdown menus at the top or right-click the composition or footage.
  • It might happen when opening a project file.
  • Also, you might see this when applying an effect.

Invalid manu operation error screenshot.png

What causes this error to come up?

This error is caused due to the following reasons:

• If your computer is connected to a VPN.
  • If your firewall is blocking After Effects from connecting to the internet.
  • If your project contains more than 1168 copies of the same item.

Solutions:

Our community recommends the following solutions:

• Reset After Effects preferences.
  • Disconnect the VPN.
  • If your firewall is blocking After Effects from connecting to the internet, change your firewall settings.

NOTE: If your computer is connected to a public network for the internet and a private LAN with a DNS Server for file storage (for example Avid storage), make sure you are using After Effects 22.1.1 or later.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also encountered this issue, happened after I did a render that took 2 days when though it was a 3 minute video. Anyone managed to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey this is a little later, but I encountered the same issue you did. I added a 4 minute video to get rendered via encoder. I have a pretty beastly computer and rendering usually doesn't take very long, the video should have been rendered in a few hours. It took 4 days to render. Did you ever figure out the issue to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have a big problem, How to fix the "Invalid menu operation" error in After Effects. My project contains more than 1168 layers and i can't delete anything. Please do you have a solution that won’t make me lose my project I’ve been working on it for more than 2 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've encounted this before. It happens to me when a single comp reaches 1000 layers. All the layers disappear after 1000 layers. Just pre-compose layers and have nested comps to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines