• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parent Property: Stroke Taper by Name (thisProperty.propertyGroup(1).name Variant?)

Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon all,

Trying to do something simple, but after about an hour of Googling I can't seem to figure out how to get AfterEffects to do what I'm looking for. Short version, I want to parent the Taper properties of a shape's stroke to sliders on a control layer, and I'm trying to come up with a single expression to apply to them all.

The Taper properties I'm looking to parent are:

* Start Length

* End Length

* Start Width

* End Width

* Start Ease

* End Ease

And what I'm looking for the expression to do is pull the name of the property (i.e. "Start Length") and go up to the Shape Dynamics layer and look for a slider with that name, and pull the numeric value as appropriate.

The best place I know to start is with "thisProperty.propertyGroup(1).name," but that's pulling "Taper" instead of "Start Length." I'm guessing there's a suffix of some kind that I need to add, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. Anybody know?

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

I think it's as simple as this:

thisComp.layer("Shape Dynamics").effect(thisProperty.name)("Slider")

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's as simple as this:

thisComp.layer("Shape Dynamics").effect(thisProperty.name)("Slider")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As usual I was missing the perfectly obvious and I never thought to try just thisProperty. Thanks as always Dan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines