• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path copied from AI file to null object in AE has wrong position.

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone!
I have problem and I will demonstrate it in the most simple way I can:
1. I am drawing a shape in illustrator.
2. I am importing AI file to AE.

3. I am converting AI file to shape layer in AE.
4. I am creating null object.

5. I am copy path of shape layer and paste it to position of null object....
And copied path in null object has a large shift relative to the original path from shape layer.
I am keeping all parameters in AI document and AE comp the same.
Both of them are 1920x1080.
I did not change scale or rotation or anchor points etc...

This problem occurs only when I am doing it with files from AI.

When I am drawing path in AE and then copy it to null object position everything is fine and correct

My question is:

Why there is difference in position between shape layer and copied path to null object when shape layer is made from AI file?

example 1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

If you are going to be copying and pasting paths you need to import as a composition. When you retain layer size the layer's anchor point is in the geographic center of the shape but the position is altered to keep the artwork lined up. This means the behavior is normal.

If you need to convert AI layers to shape layers and copy and paste the paths to position properties I would recommend that you create a separate illustrator file by making a duplicate, eliminating any layers that you are not goi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layer with the path has been scaled, moved or rotated. Simple as that. Check the transform properties of the converted layer. I am guessing that you imported the AI file with Retain Layer Size selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick Gerard,
1. No matter how I import it... Footage, Composition and retain layer sizes or Composition the result of following steps from 1-5 is the same.
2. You are right that there are changes in Transform properties of the converted layer.
And changes are in Anchor Point and Position properties.
And the strange thing is that those properties are changed but "visual" position of converted shape is the same as original AI.
So when I try to copy Anchor Point properties from AI file to converted shape layer then shape layer going to wrong position (it's obvious) but when after that I copy Path from converted shape and paste it to Position of Null Object ... That Null Object Path is in correct position (I mean the same as original AI file)... So it is not good for me anyway.

example 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to be copying and pasting paths you need to import as a composition. When you retain layer size the layer's anchor point is in the geographic center of the shape but the position is altered to keep the artwork lined up. This means the behavior is normal.

If you need to convert AI layers to shape layers and copy and paste the paths to position properties I would recommend that you create a separate illustrator file by making a duplicate, eliminating any layers that you are not going to use for motion paths, make sure there are no fills applied to any of the lines, then save that file as motion path.ai. Import that as a composition, convert the shape layers to paths, copy the paths, add nulls, paste the paths to the null's position then copy that layer and paste it into your original file. As long as your version of AE is up to date you should have no problems with the paths matching if you import as a comp and the transform properties are all normalized.

In most cases, you do not gain anything by converting vector layers to shapes. The only real good reason to do so is to be able to animate the path, copy the path for use as a motion path, or to use shape animators. I probably create a couple dozen AI files a month to use in AE and except for needing motion paths from my AI files, I would bet that I have not converted every layer in an AI to AE comp to a motion path since the feature was introduced. Only on rare occasions will I create a shape layer from a vector layer. It's a complete waste of time unless you absolutely cannot do with you need to do with the original vector layer.

If you still have problems duplicate your shape layer, reset the position and anchor point on the duplicate, copy and paste the path to your null's position, parent the null to the copy then hold down the shift key and parent the copy to the original shape layer, press the A key to reveal the anchor point of both the duplicate and the copy then copy and paste the anchor point of the original to the copy of the shape layer. Everything will snap into position. You can then delete the copy of the shape layer.

It took me a minute to figure out but it works just fine. It even works if the original layer has been scaled and rotated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You very much Rick Gerard!
It really helps!
I am new in AE and AI and it's all little bit complicated for me but Your reply explained all my doubts.
Huuuuge THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A late answer, I had the same problem. Hope this video can help you - https://youtu.be/rgonFq7wYVM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines