• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool becoming add vertex tool very far away from line

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm trying to trace some text in After Effects for a dumb effect and I cannot draw this line without the pen tool becoming the "add vertex" tool anytime my mouse gets anywhere close to the line I am drawing. But I'm not trying to add new vertex's in the middle of the existing line, I'm trying to extend the line. In the screenshot, my mouse doesn't show up, but I'm trying to place a new point at the beginning of the U. After Effects is instead turning my mouse into the "add vertex" tool and trying to add a point in the middle of the line next to my mouse. Pressing Command or Control does not fix it, nor does pressing G to take me back to the pen tool—it just switches between the subtract vertext and feather tool, which are both equally useless. Is there a way to turn this off, or make it's range lower?

I'm on a 2014 16" Macbook Pro running MacOS 11.01 and my version of after effects is 17.5 (2020).

P.S. if anyone knows a better way to do this "handwritten text" effect than tracing the text and making an alpha matte with it, please let me know, because doing it this way is annoying and does not look very good. 

image.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Illustrator, by far the easiest way to set something like that up is to work in AI. Create a separate layer for all your centered paths, then convert them to shapes in AE and then apply Trim Paths.

Another option is to create a gradient path in Illustrator to use as a wipe. It all depends on the font.

I'm not sure what is going on with your pen tool. I have a nearly identical system and the pen tool works just fine. If I ever have problems I select the path I am working on in the timeline and alternate between the selection tool (v) and the pen tool (g). That seems to work the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for a very long time, it has something to do with the fact that you're doing this on a parented layer, I've had to unparent the layer, finish my mask and then re-parent the layer. sometimes the footage panel is good for this, but seign it in the comp window is definately better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi default0gllci37nvzh,

I usually zoom in quickly at the point where I want to add the Vertex.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines