• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pick whip missing

Enthusiast ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m new to AE, and following this tutorial online, showing dragging of pickwhip from the text layer to the amplitude,

text to amplitude pickwhip.PNG

however in my AE (latest build) I cannot find the pick whip?

type to amp.PNG

kind regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

You have not revealed the Parent Column. You need to check the User Guide and study up on the timeline.

Screenshot_2019-07-07 08.44.49_rnoJn8.png

There is a lot more information in the User Guide that will help you use the time saving and helpful features in most of the panels in the AE UI.

The screenshot you posted appears to be asking you to hold down the shift key as you parent a text layer to the Audio Amplitude layer in a timeline. This will snap the child layer (text layer) to the same position as the Audio Amplitude layer, but I do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not revealed the Parent Column. You need to check the User Guide and study up on the timeline.

Screenshot_2019-07-07 08.44.49_rnoJn8.png

There is a lot more information in the User Guide that will help you use the time saving and helpful features in most of the panels in the AE UI.

The screenshot you posted appears to be asking you to hold down the shift key as you parent a text layer to the Audio Amplitude layer in a timeline. This will snap the child layer (text layer) to the same position as the Audio Amplitude layer, but I don't understand why you would need to do that. A layer named Audio Amplitude is a Null layer created by the Keyframe assistant and its position has nothing at all to do with the rest of the composition. This makes me think that you are looking at a tutorial prepared by an amateur that does not know what they are talking about and you are learning useless workflows. Make sure you vet your trainers. There is currently much more bad advice given by amateurs and enthusiasts on YouTube than there are valuable tutorials presented by folks that know what they are talking about.

If you are new please save yourself a bunch of time and start in the Overview section of this forum or on the After Effects Product page and go through the beginner and expert tutorials. All of that training has been vetted and the folks presenting them are giving you good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, I will check out those tutorials/fundamentals. Seems a good selection of tutorials! Thanks for helping out.

I think this was linking the text to move in line with the amplitude or "react" to its changes. The tutorial seems quite popular but i`ll see how it goes and reference the adobe training.

udemy,

mottype.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, You might be using Photoshop CS6 or earlier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

User guide is useless.

I just wanna know what a pick whip even is, why would NOTHING AND NOWHERE just give me a simple answer!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines