• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plant animation with individual vector shapes imported from illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I need some help with a plant animation. I have a stem, leaves, petioles (these attach the leaf to the stem). I want to animate wind blowing through the plant. I've seen tutorials with the stem, leaf, petiole combined and animated as one image, but I want to animate each element individually. When I animate the stem slowly swaying back and forth using the puppet pin tool or the bend effect, I cannot get the petioles or leaves to move with it. My intention is to have the petioles and leaves move with the stem and at the same time each leaf and petiole will have a individual animation/effect from the wind. Any suggestions how I do this?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put every individual object you want to animate on a separate named layer in Illustrator. The Stem is on one layer; each leaf gets its own layer, and so on. Import the  AI file as a composition retaining layer size and then open the composition that After Effects created in the Project file. 

You will probably have to adjust the duration and maybe the frame rate of the composition by opening the Composition Settings.

Now use the Anchor Point (shift behind) tool "Y" to move the anchor point of each layer from the center to where you want the layer to rotate. 

When that is done, parent every leaf and flower to the appropriate stem. Then when all the parenting is done you can now animate the stem or stems and adjust their scale and rotation. Everything will move together. You can then add more keyframes for scale and rotation to each leaf.

If you are good with expressions or have the budget to purchase some tools you can automate the process a bit. 

Those are the basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Rick Gerard , appreciate the response. I think this process will be the one I will use. However, a problem I'm having is that if I animate the stem with the bend effect or use puppet pins to give it a more natural feel (the top of the stem sways more than the bottom for example), the leaves do not follow or they get distorted. I'm guessing parenting only works with simple things like rotate, scale, move?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple pickwhipping the position values of your leaves and so on can get you halfway there:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expression-basics.html

You just need to ensure the coordinates and anchor points are sensible as already mentioned by Rick. Otherwise this is indeed a good opportunity to check AEScripts.com and find some utility scripts such as Pins & Boxes to facilitate the process. If you need to do this often, buying a script can pay for itself with only a handful of projects.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response @Mylenium , pick whip/parenting only seems to work with simple transofrmations like rotate, scale, move. When I use the bend effect, or puppet pin to get a natural "swaying" motion on the stem, the leaves do not track or they get distorted and move incorrectly relative to the stem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screenshot of your setup and we can advise. Of course there may be other steps required to convert coordinates since effects inevitably will be relative to the layer dimensions, not the comp plus you may have to change the order in which they are treated. Calculating an arbitrary bend after the fact would not be trivial, so it may require soem pre-composing or similar to isolate the individual steps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are using Puppet Pin, everything that moves together must be on the same layer, and the layer cannot have any other Transform animations or be moving. 

Other options include displacement maps and warp effects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines