• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Previewing inside After Effects suddenly impossible

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a sudden issue with After Effects, and it's not project specific. Suddenly, and without any known reason that I can find, After Effects is taking longer to preview the comp and update the preview than it does to render. I even lowered the resolution of the preview down to a quarter and it still takes about 20 seconds to render 1 frame in the preview. 

This is on a brand new project, with a few text and shapes on it - nothing crazy, but I tried it on a project that was working perfectly fine yesterday and the same thing is happening to that project. Some of the comps won't preview altogether. I tried it on a blank project and added a few shapes and lines of text - same issue. I'm running a PC with an i9-10885H CPU and 32 GB of RAM, all my software is up to date, as well as all of my drivers.

My biggest gripe is that I can barely see what I'm doing at this point, and I can barely sync things up to voiceover with how lagged the preview is. Are there any optimal settings, tips or tricks, or anything that you could reccommend that could speed up the preview inside After Effects and keep it closer to realtime? Have you had this issue and found a workaround? Anything is appreciated!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changed? Updates, drivers, AE version? What build of AE are you using? What else is running in the background? What happens if you add a text layer to a new comp, press Alt + p to set a position keyframe, then move down the timeline 4 seconds and move the type layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Start by trashing the prefs and clean out the caches.

Setting preferences in After Effects

Anything beyond that would require more info like what version of Windows, driver versions, the hardware acceleration info from the AE prefs, preview settings etc.. I agree with Rick. Something has definitely changed, either inside AE or outside of it and based on so little real details we just can't know.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines