• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem importing Illustrator layers into After Effects - They stack in the middle

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import Illustrator File into after effects, all my layers get put in the center of the composition instead of keeping their position in the frame.

I separated out my layers 

My Illustrator artboard is 1920X1080 (matching composition)

I've clicked the checkbox (Import As: Composition - Retain Layer Sizes) after i've selected the file i'm going to import

Can someone help? Lol

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.17.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.17.54 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

OMG you’re right. Well, don’t I feel stupid. Thank you Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did everything right except you did not open the comp that was created when AE imported the AI file as a comp. You made a new comp, selected all of the layers and dropped them in a new comp. What you got makes sense because all of the layers anchor points are in the center of the artwork. This is a mistake someone that has not done any homework on the process almost always makes.

Try opening the aaaaaaa comp at the top of the Project panel.

Before you go too much farther check out the User Guide and do some research on preparing artwork for video using Illustrator and Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG you’re right. Well, don’t I feel stupid. Thank you Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,  its great that you responded to this person, but the implication that someone hasn't 'done their homework' is pretty condescending.  I'm having a similar problem as this person and it makes me hesitate to ask the community for fear of being ridiculed.  I've been searching for an answer to a scaling up issue from AI to AE with layers and can't resolve it either.  The files are extremely pixelated and blurry in AE when scaled either singularly in their own 'vector layer' or in the main comp.  I can't figure it out.

I've been doing work with Adobe products for a living since 2016!  Learning via online info can be really challenging, so give people the benefit of the doubt please.  Your knowledge is greatly appreciated without the bite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m really sorry that you feel threatened by somebody pointing out that you need to do some homework. I do homework almost every day. I also take severe criticism on my work from my clients and my peers. That’s how the world works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Looks like you’re taking criticism from yvonnevl while telling us how the world works. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry Rick but I have to agree with everybody else on this, you can give information without feeling the need to be condescening about it. there's your severe criticism for the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

You are right that taking criticism on your work from peers is part of the industry and you have to learn to accept that, but ridiculing someone when asking for help for not knowing one of the many facets of what may be a new software is not what one should do when offering advice. I have watch hours and hours of tutorials on lynda to learn after effects, and there is still so much I have difficulties with. I think the community guidlines that sit above every reply window emphasize this. Do you think students should be ridiculed in class for raising their hand and asking a question? I hope not. Graded on the work they turn in. Yes, but this forum is for learning and helping. Thank you for helping but I dont think it was necessary to say it in that way. if you feel that strongly about people learning there are more polite ways to suggest that. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 7.53.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...

Suggesting that your homework is ridiculing and belittling. I did not know that. I humbly beg your pardon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't coming to this forum and asking for help count as doing your homework? Isn't this a community? Apparently asking a question in a forum for the product you are using is just some superfluous use of your time. Maybe next time just answer the question without any snide remarks or looking down your nose at the original poster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick I realize I am three years late here to come to you rescue.  I totally side with Rick here.  You millenials are soooo sensitive. Like what are you all going to do when terrible stuff happens to you in life? (which it will)

Crawl into the fetal position I imagine, and ball like a baby? 

Adobe products, by natue require constant homework.  Adobe has amazing product, yes... are they a freaking headache?...absolutlely  So all of you gen z or i or whatever, go back to Starbucks  and drink you latte and whine about the semi-rude guy Rick on the Adobe Forum.  Then whine about the amazingly rude dude Nate (me) that called you all panzies.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what was just explained here. The process used to work and now it doesn't and this doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import as a comp with Illustrator or Photoshop works as it always has. You have to open the comp that AE creates, not create a comp from the layers that are imported. No current bugs, no reported bugs that I know of, and new and old projects that I work on almost every day still work as they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike did you ever get an answer? I finally figured out that when I imported either Ai or Ps layers that a new composition was created. It’ll show up right next to your layers that you imported. You double click the composition and all the layers pop up perfectly in new window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for circling back on this. I tried it again and it works. In previous attempts I was not opening the comp that AE creates after importing from Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also thanking you, Mike for this simple solution I was missing. Took HOURS to find it while "doing my homework".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I can't beilive it took me so long to see you just have to double click the composition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was driving me nuts, then I got sucked into the drama from 2.5 years ago and forgot what answer I was looking for, but finally found it in your response. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick did pass along some valuable info - it just helped me with a project.

That said, I thought the same thing everyone else did. Rick acted a little bit like something that rhymes with Rick.

I agree that one should do one's homework and that coming here for answers is part of that homework. This is a forum for asking questions and learing. Pressumably, the people answering the questions do so to help, not dump on people.

I'm not some soft-handed "snowflake" who can't take critisizm.  I get it from clients, too, at times. That doesn't make me want to slap somoene's hand for asking a question - unless they're lazy and keep asking the same question without practicing and committing it to memory. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not offended by you calling me a Dick... 

Labeling someone as such tells everyone a lot more about you than it does about me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The world's gone soft hasn't it Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A soft Dick.. The name, moderators, the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines