• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem rendering output with transparency background

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a single text motion graphic layer in solid white.When I check, the background is a transparency.  I then go to render a quicktime .mov and set the codec to AppleProRes 4444 with an alpha channel.  I also check that RGB + Alpha is enabled.   After rendering, in playback I still see a black background to the text instead of the transparency.  Please see the attached image of my settings before rendering. 

I have looked and looked but can't find a solution to my problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what program do you verify the output? Transparency will only show up in other professional video programs, not standard players.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a vlc player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You answered your own question. Reimport the file in AE or check in Premiere to check for transparency, not VLC or whatever other player.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried reimporting the rendered file in AE and it plays with a black background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I'm following the instructions needed to do this, but here's another file with the settings I'm using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you enable the transparency grid in After Effects? Did you check the Project Panel Info display when importing the footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!   Here's the crux of my problem.  I have determined how to render an mov or avi file with the transparency background working.  However, I need to use this in Epic's Unreal gaming engine UE 4 and UE 5 (if you're unfamiliar, this is becoming one of the most popular platforms to develop games and post and pre post for movies).  When I convert the .mov file to an mp 4, the black background plays instead of, in my case, a solid text with a transparent background.  Can you help with any suggestions?   Thnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the documentation for Epic's Unreal gaming engine. They have to give you supported file formats and workflows somewhere. You will never get RGBA in an MP4. It is impossible. You can render an 8-bit black and white MP4 and an 8-bit RGB MP4, then use the black and white copy as a track matte if that format is supported. You could render a Tiff sequence or any other supported file format. You cannot get RGBA in an MP4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@z25380917kg3u wrote:

When I convert the .mov file to an mp 4

That's the problem.  MP4 files cannot contain alpha channels.

Unreal Engine supports Quicktime ProRes formats. so you can use them, but the file size will be huge - not really suitable if you're developing online content.

UE also supports PNG and EXR image sequences, both of which can contain alpha channels.  Or, you can output seperate RGB and alpha streams to MP4 and use the alpha channel as a matte within UE.  Or, worst case scenario, UE has a keyer so you could render onto an appropriate key colour and then key it back out in UE.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/playing-a-video-with-a-alpha-channel/406736/11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines