Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems copying over Arabic text in AE

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Forum comments to After Effects.]

I am trying to copy already-translated Arabic (which is to read LEFT to RIGHT) text into AfterEffects, but it never looks the same once I copy over. It shows up fine in Word or Google Translate, but the whole thing copies over differently into any Adobe application. I am using Adobe Arabic for the font. Any solutions for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not need the text to be live in AE, the easiest solution would be to use Illustrator to turn the text into objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dealt with Arabic Text a couple of months ago and almost got crazy while doing so.

Actually the words and letters look completely different in different Arabic fonts. Long words shrink down to something that looks like a letter only and that's totally correct (I got a native speaker right next to me back then).

I ended up with what ScooterD76 said: fix the words into a graphics (using AI or PS) and work with that.

Also note that there is a RTL-option in newer Adobe software, if this is the matter. I also got good results copying the texts into editor (Windows) before inserting into Adobe software.

There is also an Arabic Keyboard for Photoshop Website, which creats copy-ready Arabic words: write arabic in photoshop

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a few years from being a good help and you probably solved it but just in case. . . mostly because I don't believe NO ONE has figured this out yet. . .   After Effects Prefs / Type /     change the text engine from Latin to South Asian and Middle Eastern.  You shouldn't have to restart AE but just so you know. . Any text boxes or layers created after you change that will read right to left and should display Arabic correctly.  Check your fonts to make sure they are not the problem. and lastly. . .check the Kerning and switch between Metrics and Optical to see if that may be causing issues.  There is still some weird glitch with other exotic language fonts where AE refuses to cut and past correctly.  Either Adding glyphs or displaying them completely wrong.  Even having the correct font (according to the web) does not help.  So yes if you're cornered then use Photoshop or Illustrator to create correctly displayed text layers and import that mess into AE.  Good luck and I hope someone has something to add to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello world,

I have successfully solved the problem for myself (phew!) and I am sure this solution will help all.

Do as what everyone said first Preferences > Type > Choose Middle Eastern. Then Restart AE.

After you have done that and since many are not Arabic writers but merely copy and paste people, then you must first PASTE the copied text onto any existing Text / New Text area. Then you must HIGHLIGHT the entire Arabic text pasted and head onto PARAGRAPH section. Click on the burger menu (the 3 horizontal lines on the top right of the Paragraph menu) and then click RESET PARAGRAPH and VOILA! There you have it. Your text will now be joined together and read well.

You are welcome. Enjoy! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just have to choose South Asian and Middle Eastern in the preferences, no need to restart, create a new text layer and paste, it should work directly, no need for any extra steps. Of course, you need to use an Arabic font such as Adobe Arabic.

I'm on windows, the Arabic language is added to my system's languages besides English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to restart to get copy and paste to work correctly, and even so it still doesn't work on some compositions when I create a new text layer. Just an FYI for anyone working with this problem. My suggestions is to change the settings, restart, make a new composition and new text layer and then copy and paste that one text layer that is behaving correctly. I'm using fonts Adobe Arabic and Cairo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing that worked for me. Choose middle eastern text, restart AE, use compatible font , reset paragraph.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

I add that it seems AE 2022 does not have that "Middle Eastern" option in Preference > Type. There is no such type option at all in these new versions.

Just by clicking "Reset Paragraph" in the Paragraph menu my problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes..Same trick worked for me..THank you ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU you're a lifesaver! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe Illustrator > Paragraph > Drop down menu > Select Middle Eastern & South Asian Single-line composer.

For Adobe InDesign > Paragraph > Drop down menu > Select Adobe Work Ready Single-line composer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I joined Adobe recently and will be partnering with the After Effect team regarding Right to Left languages. Since I'm a native Arabic speaker, I would like to know more about the issues and challenges you, as After Effects users are facing while using the app with Arabic texts. Feel free to write to me in Arabic as well if you prefer. Looking forward to receiving your feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a sample of a text i copy pasted from a pdf doc to a word doc:  

اﻟ􀀆ي ﺗﺤﻘﻖ أهﺪاف اﻟﺴﻴﺎﺳﺔ ا􀀈خﺎرﺟﻴﺔ ﻟﺪوﻟﺔ اﻹﻣﺎرات ﻣﻦ ﺧﺎل ﺗﻮﻓ􀀇􀀄 ﺑﺮاﻣﺞ أ􀀉ﺎدﻳﻤﻴﺔ ﻣﻌﺘﻤﺪة ودورات ﺗﺪر􀀅بﻴﺔ ﻓﻌﺎﻟﺔ وﻣﻄﻮرة وﻓﻘﺎً ﻷﻋ􀀌􀀍 اﳌﻌﺎﻳ،􀀇􀀄 و􀀋􀀊جﻴﻊ اﻟﺮ􀀅ﺎدة اﻟﻔﻜﺮ􀀅ﺔ وﺗﻄﻮ􀀅ﺮ اﻟﻘﺪرات اﻟﺒﺤﺜﻴﺔ ﺑﻤﺎ􀀏 ﺴهﻢ􀀁􀀂  􀀋ﻌﺰ􀀅ﺰ ﻓهﻢ و􀀒دراك ﻃﺒﻴﻌﺔ اﻟﻌﻤﻞ اﻟﺪﺑﻠﻮﻣﺎ􀀐􀀑ي وﻣﺎهﻴﺔ اﻟﻌﻼﻗﺎت اﻟﺪوﻟﻴﺔ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines